orange and red poulans

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farmboy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Been doing lots of surfing since finding this site a week or so ago. From reading some of the posts, I have learned that Elecrolux has purchased Husky, Jonsared (sp?), and Poulan. Can someone please answer the following questions? I'm probably going to be looking for a saw in the 50cc class sometime soon and need to get educated!

1. What model huskies and Jonsareds are "orange/red Poulans"?

2. Is there any difference now, other than color, between a Husky and Jonsared? They appear identical, but are they built on the same line?

3. Before Electrolux came along, were Huskies and Jonsareds built on the same line? As long as I can remember, they have appeared to be identical. One curious thing though - here in Georgia, around 10 - 20 yrs ago, Jonsareds used to be quite a bit cheaper than Huskys, now they are close to the same with Jonsareds averaging a little higher.

Thanks,
Jim

Welcome to the forum Farmboy. I'll probably get it all wrong, but I think some of the consumer model Huskys are built by Poulan. I understand that some of the Pro models Huskys and Jonsereds are built on the same line in Sweden.

Hi Farmboy, welcome aboard. None of the Husky or Jonsered 50cc saws are made by Poulan, never mind what Lobo says. He only comes out of the woodwork long enough to state a little nonsense then he takes off. The 136 and 141 Huskies are made in the Poulan plant but they are pretty good saws for what they are. What is an honest appraisal of your experience and technique, are you the type to let the saw rev, or do you force every cut, and what do you plan to do with the saw? What does your budget allow? Give us a little more info and you will probably be swamped with good advice. Russ

I can't predict the future, but 2141, 2145, 2150, 2152 and up Jonsereds are Swede made saws. Think also 341, 345, 350 and 351 (now 353) Huskys are all Swede.

You can tell by the either USA made or Swede made tags.

2. Before Electrolux started buying the saw industry; Jonsereds, Husqvarnas, and Poulans, Partners and others were all different saws made at different factories. There are a couple of Jonsered/Partner lineage saws still in the Jonsered line, but I understand not for long. I believe the 2083II may have some partner genes and the 2095 some original Jonsereds genes.

3. You just do not go back far enough in years. These brands were all actually differennt saws in the early 70s.

4. It is true that Poulan has made the 36cc and 40cc saws in the U.S.

After E-lux bought the good European saw companies, they should have stopped (kept Partner). This exhibits the "Peter Principle" at its worst" You get on a roll in a good direction, then you take one or two steps too many and step on your di--.

Last edited:
ok illjump in here. to carry the posters question on out.are the same basic pts used in poulan versus husky. ive used both and while the poulan pro is a fine saw ,there seems tobe a difference ,in that saw and the husky saw of the same
size. also a vast difference in their reputation,as quality tool.assuming husky does more in the vibration department[comments on this welcome],
where is the real difference comeing in .
ive read where mechanics said the pts were interchangeable. so are the swedes that much better at building a saw.
is poulan just usiing cheaper ,what really makes the difference. theres always the tendency of people to believe what they read or here. surely thats not the difference.i ask this realizeing that the truth can sometimes not be the question ,most popular. as in if a member of stalins court had honestly ask if he knew how many deaths he was responcible for. truth would set him free but stalin would also have set him free,of having to live, shortly.
oh heck ,excuse me for going on:)

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone for all the info/advise. I now know more than I did prior to posting this topic, but am still a little fuzzy on the differences between Husky and Jonsared.
Tony, you stated that in the '70's Huskies and Jonsared were different. I did not know that. Back in that time frame, we saw quite a few Jons in my neck of the woods, but no one had heard of Husky. By the time Huskies started showing up around here, probably late '70s or early 80's they appeared to be identical to Jonsareds. What about these seemingly identical orange and red saws? Are the Swede saws built side by side on the same line? If so, I can't imagine any reason to pick one over the other except for color preference or price. If they are assempled at different plants, which one has the better reputation for quality?
Jokers, you inquired about my experience, technique, budget, etc. Here is my 'saw biography':

'73-'77: Big old yellow '64 model Mac. Can't remember the model but would guess it to be 70 - 80cc. Cousin bought it new and cut pulpwood professionally for 4 years before giving it to my dad in '68. Dad would not let me use it until I was 14yrs old. If you want to yank on the starter cord for half an hour, it will still crank and run good as new today.

'78 - '82: Pro Mac 650, a real POS in my opinion. My buddy and I cut and sold firewood for spending money while in college. We started in September, and finished up around the first of the year. We had an unlimited supply of wood from a mega subdivision that was going in nearby. The grading contractor gave us all the oak and hickory we could cut, it saved him the trouble of disposing of the trees. We cut an honest 50 or more cords per season for 4 years with that sorry old Mac and my buddy's Poineer. The Mac was on its last legs when I finally graduated.

'82 - '94: Stihl 031. This would have been a great little saw if I could have kept points, condensors, and coils in it. When the ignition crapped out for the last time, my dealer told me he could convert the saw over to electronic ignition - he did, using Stihl parts (I watched). I took the saw home, and it was a dog - seemed to me that the ignition was way retarded, saw was slow to rev and had no power. The dealer went out of business before I got around to taking the saw back. I got new saw fever and bought a Husky 262XP, and never got around to fixing the 031, I sold it in a yard sale for $75. Still don't know what the problem was, suspect the dealer put in the wrong parts.

'94 - '02: Husky 262xp, my all time favorite saw. Cut several cords of firewood anually, plus did a whole lot of cleaning up on 46 acres that we bought in '95, and have since built a home on. Saw had a ton of hours on it, but was still running great when I burned it up, a brush fire crept across about 50 feet of broom sage stubble and got to my saw. It was history by the time I noticed.

'02 - present: Stihl 044. Bought to replace my Husky (see my debut post on 'advise from experts') . Seems to me to be equal to but no better than my old Husky, despite a 10cc advantage. Both had 20" bars, I usually cut Hardwood, usually no more than 24" in diameter. Maybe in really big stuff I could tell a difference. Although I'm satisfied with the 044, I would probably go 372xp if I had it to do over. I bought the Stihl based on price, it was ~$40 cheaper.

As I stated in my original post, I would like to get a saw in the 50cc range. We bought an additional 14 acres that adjoins our property, and I need to do a lot of cleaning up/thinning out. My 044 would be overkill for a lot of this work, and I would like something a little lighter. Price is not really a factor, I would like a pro quality saw which is why I wanted to know about 'red/orange poulans'. Any recommendations for a saw in the 45 - 50cc range?

Sorry for the long post, it's slow at work today!

Thanks,
Jim

I ll give you my experince on the two. My dad bought a poulan pro 260 (40 or 42cc) two years ago. the only reason he bought it was because Lowes had them on sale for 125 bucks regularly 190. In the first year after about 40 ricks of wood the handle mount broke. There so called anit vibration is a cheasy spring that mounts to the engine jug. well it snapped. the second year after about 70 ricks of wood the cheap roller nose bar blew out., and later on I had to rebuild the carbureator. I have also had the throttle cable linkage jam up while in the field. Now for my husky experiences. For about the last 15 years we have owned a 240 (40cc)husky. We got the saw used, and in this time frame the saw has probably cut 30 ricks of wood per year, the only thing that has been done to it is a new diaphram in the carb, new bar, and new sprocket rim, and new rope. The husky still to this day starts easier than the poulan, cuts better and faster, because it doesnt use the crappy low profile skip chain, all this from a 20 year old saw tha stilll has breaker points for ignition. You get what you pay for. A poulan will run close to a husky, , but the rest of the saw is just built cheap, I think this is why thay can sell them , because there market audience is used to using a 20 year old Homelite or Mc culloch, and the poulan seems to run real good comapred to them.

Hi Jim, hope I didn`t phrase my request for info in a way that you found offensive. I wasn`t expecting your biography, lol. Tony Snyder recommended a couple of very good saws and there isn`t any reason to pick one brand over the other based on the saws themselves. Based on your statement that the 262 was your all time favorite I`m going out on a limb and assuming that you like a quick, high revving saw. Based on that assumption I`m going to recommend the Husky 346xp or a Stihl MS260 as slightly better choices in my opinion. Both are beautiful lightweight fast revving saws with peak power at higher rpms than the others. Both these models are popular with pros doing clearance work and with decent care and routine maintenance will last you many years, Sharp chain is a must. I`ve had a 346 and I just got my 260 back from Dennis Greffard, both are sweet small saws. At first glance I`m going to say that the Greffardized 260 has significantly more jam than my Walkerized 346, but that is due to what Dennis does vs a "Walkerization". I think I like the balance of the 260 just a hair better than the 346, but we are spliiting hairs, and the 346 seems to have just a bit less vibration. I haven`t been able to really put the 260 through it`s paces because of issues with the Intellicarb, the main reason I recommend the standard version of the 260. Stay with .325 chain and both of these saws will pull a 20" bar, the added reach is nice for clearance work. Since you mentioned that cost is not a significant issue have you considered sending one of these saws to a builder like Dennis or Dan Henry? It`s money well spent in my opinion and it will give you an ear to ear grin when you get it back. You might end up selling your 044. Russ

Get a 357xp, have it modified, and it will do the job of both your 044 and a 50cc saw. You can sell the 044 and be even.

Have not tried the new 353 Husky, but if you must have a 50cc class saw it is hard to beat the 346xp, and it sounds like you like a saw that gets up and sings (like the 362 did).

JonsEred, JonsEred, with an "e". Husqvarna bought Jonsey in the '80s. Before that, they made all sorts of neat saws. They were an established brand in the US before Husky.

Now that I think about, it was actually Jonsereds (with the "s") before they were bought out.

Latest posts

Back