Oregon 511a Convenience Enhancement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Oregon 511a came with a rubber keyholder that attached to the cord. The idea was to use it to store the two hex wrenches that work with the machine screws holding the plastic guard and the sharpening disk in place. Unfortunately, the rubber finally gave out after a few years, which is to be expected:

SharpenerKeyholder02.jpg

So, I decided to try to improve the situation. The base of the sharpener has a 11/32" dia. hole that was empty, and I'm not sure what that was even there for. So, I decided to put that to use.

I took a 2" wide piece of hardwood about 3/8" thick and ripped two square slots in it, 3/8" from the edge, one for each allen wrench. The width and depth of the slots is about same width as the distance aross the hex flats. For safety, I started with a 6" long blank and then cut 2" off the end after cutting the slots on my table saw. Then I drilled a 5/16" hole in the center between the two slots.

I found a 5/16" x 1-1/2" bolt, washer, and wing nut. Then I fastened the hardwood holder to the base with the wrenches in the slots:

SharpenerKeyholder01.jpg

When I tighten the wing nut, the wrenches are held tight to the base. Loosening the wing nut releases them whenever it's time to change disks.

Thought I'd pass this tip along. WDYT?

Last edited:
I like it! (I tried to rep you for it, but the 'rep gods' says I have to spread some more around before hitting you again.)

Little things like those keys are important to have when needed, and easy to lose. I connected the longer ends of the 2 hex keys with a 4 inch or so length of rubber tubing to make them into one, larger, harder to lose tool.

I keep this in a Tupperware style container with the extra wheels, dressing stick, profile gauge, etc. This works well for me as I do not have my grinder permanently set up in one spot.

Philbert

Hmm. Interesting stray tool remedy. My wrenches are just laying beside the grinder. Sometimes I almost forget what they're for. I'll check into the matter tomorrow. Thanks Wood Doctor.:clap:

I like it! (I tried to rep you for it, but the 'rep gods' says I have to spread some more around before hitting you again.)

Little things like those keys are important to have when needed, and easy to lose. I connected the longer ends of the 2 hex keys with a 4 inch or so length of rubber tubing to make them into one, larger, harder to lose tool.

I keep this in a Tupperware style container with the extra wheels, dressing stick, profile gauge, etc. This works well for me as I do not have my grinder permanently set up in one spot.

Philbert
Perhaps the best thing I like about this solution is that the hex wrenches are not flopping around lose on the power cord. That's probably what wore out the rubber keyholder in the first place.

I suppose it would have been easier to fool around with epoxy and glue rare earth magnets to the frame, but that also seemed troublesome and messy. I've also seen glue bonds break too often.

I'll notify the forum when this remedy falls about--in about 20 years or so. :popcorn:

Nice. Id throw the wrenches in the toolbox and have a hard time finding them later. Also a guy with a handle like Wood Doctor should be making things like that out of wood and not magnets!:laugh:

Perhaps the best thing I like about this solution is that the hex wrenches are not flopping around lose on the power cord.

Come to think of it, I don't think that my 511A came with the hex wrench holder. It looks like the one that comes on an electric drill.

Problem with magnets is that they would also collect all of the metallic filings/grinding dust from the chains.

That hole, by the way, is for an optional foot pedal cable.

Philbert

Back in Action

Come to think of it, I don't think that my 511A came with the hex wrench holder. It looks like the one that comes on an electric drill.

Problem with magnets is that they would also collect all of the metallic filings/grinding dust from the chains.

That hole, by the way, is for an optional foot pedal cable.

Philbert
Hey, Philbert, that's indeed interesting. I never thought about a foot pedal and cable. Seems a bit robotic, but I can understand why a machinist might supply that hole at management's request.

Also, magnets collecting iron filings is indeed a good reason why rare earths would have been messy. Glad you called that to my attention. Magnets occasionally drive me bonkers.

Sorry, I could not get back sooner. A bug got into my computer and I had to stomp it out. Somebody was loading up my machine with thousands of temporary internet files that jammed the browser. I'll have to check that more carefully. :dizzy:

Anyway, the 511a is doing great things for me. Worth every penny. :)

Tecomec (Italy) makes a number of familiar looking products, and a few we don't always see:
TECOMEC

This is a small photo of the stand and foot pedal for these grinders. Easy to see how to rig one up - not sure what type of muscle training/memory would be required to use it effectively and efficiently:

attachment.php

Philbert

How About a Grinder Workstation?

Tecomec (Italy) makes a number of familiar looking products, and a few we don't always see:
TECOMEC

This is a small photo of the stand and foot pedal for these grinders. Easy to see how to rig one up - not sure what type of muscle training/memory would be required to use it effectively and efficiently:

attachment.php

Philbert
I suppose the foot pedal might be an emergency power switch or it could be a master. If so, it seems like overkill. Keeping your foot on the pedal might be required to run the grinder. That would drive me bonkers. As an emergency power cutoff switch, that might make some sense if a wheel were ever to break apart. Occasionally, they do.

I intend to eventually build a small station for my Oregon 511a that would hold the grinder and all the essential ingredients: grinding wheels, wheel dresser, chain storage, cleansers, lubes, etc. To me, this is still the best piece of equipment that I own that supports my saws and keeps them and my customers up and running. So, to commit some of my time and skills as a woodsmith to make it even more effective seems like a small price to pay.

Foot or Hand Optional?

??? The foot pedal is attached to the grinder head with a cable. You step on the pedal to bring the wheel in contact with the cutter, while you use your hands to shuttle the chain along.

Philbert

OK, that makes some good sense. However, I seem to like the hand control as I work because some teeth require special attention. I suppose I could get used to using my foot.

Then there is the another consideration. I like to sit on a tall shop stool while I sharpen the chain. That could take some getting used to as well. I'd have to try it out, but I'm not immune to change. If either the foot control or your hand could be used, it would be a plus.

However, I seem to like the hand control as I work because some teeth require special attention. I suppose I could get used to using my foot. . . . If either the foot control or your hand could be used, it would be a plus.

I have never used it. It seemed like a neat idea, and, if you used a quick disconnect on the cable, I am sure that you could use either your foot or your hand.

But I believe that it would take some time to get the feel of the foot pedal, in order to work with the same level of skill. It might also take a little time to condition your leg muscles - some people cramp up when they have to do a lot of repetitive foot pedal work; it is different than constant pressure, such as when driving a car.

Philbert

Back