Outdoor Wood Furnace - Water Heater Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thois

Reaction score
Hi,
We have had an outdoor wood furnace (Central Boiler) for nearly 2 years and everything has been great until recently. The problem is that we are not getting any hot water out of our water heater. We had plenty of hot water until a couple of weeks ago when the water would be hot but only last a few minutes. Now the last couple of days it barely gets warm. The pipes of the heat exchanger (shell-and-tube water-to-water) are hot and we checked our dip tube in the water heater for damage...it was fine but we replaced it anyway. Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be?
Thanks in advance.
T Hois

Possibly it is your circ pump. the heat you are getting in your coil could just be raddiant heat in the pipes. do ou have any flow? Hopefully this is the problem. it would be an easy fix to just replace the pump and be done. Check ebay for pumps.
Of course I could be totally wrong. I'm sure someone here will know the answer.... Also I sent you a PM ( upper right under your screen name)

You might luck out and the pump may not be bad. Check all the connections for power. This may seem silly, but at work just the other day, the maintenance guy checked the connections before replacing anything and got the piece of equipment working by replacing a wire nut.

Another case in point; my electric water heater wasn't working as well as it should. I checked for power at the heating element and found out the thermostat was bad. The heating element burned out a couple of months later, but replacing the heating element right away (more difficult than the thermostat) wouldn't have solved the problem.

Hi,
We have had an outdoor wood furnace (Central Boiler) for nearly 2 years and everything has been great until recently. The problem is that we are not getting any hot water out of our water heater. We had plenty of hot water until a couple of weeks ago when the water would be hot but only last a few minutes. Now the last couple of days it barely gets warm. The pipes of the heat exchanger (shell-and-tube water-to-water) are hot and we checked our dip tube in the water heater for damage...it was fine but we replaced it anyway. Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be?
Thanks in advance.
T Hois

Side arms fill up with deposits and crude so check to is if the "center" pipe is not filled up with junk. Also a air lock will do this... Where in MI do you live?

My phone number is 269-838-2011 if you havnt fixed it yet.

Side arms fill up with deposits and crude so check to is if the "center" pipe is not filled up with junk. Also a air lock will do this... Where in MI do you live?

My phone number is 269-838-2011 if you havn't fixed it yet.

Thanks Jack. The problem was mineral deposits...all fixed now :clap: It will be nice to get back to that lower electric bill!

Back