Outdoor wood treatment?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retoid

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have been searching around the forums for some info on treating wood for outdoor usage. I am not able to find anything on the subject but it's possible I am not using the correct terminology.

I have alot of Northwest Red Cedar that will be used for mt bike features outdoors. A problem we have is algae/moss growing on the wood making it extremely slick and almost impossible to ride on.
I am curious if anyone has any suggestions as to what I may treat the wood with to prevent the algae from growing, but also keeping the wood non slick.

Thanks

I found some info, it might be mold or mildew.

"Test the wood with a 50/50 solution of water and bleach. Let it stand for one-half hour. If the wood lightens, mildew is present. Scrub your wood with a solution of detergent and water with one cup of bleach, rinse thoroughly, let dry completely, and apply PENOFIN Marine Oil Finish with extra Mildewcide and 99% ultraviolet protection."

Anybody have any other ideas?

probably not the best thing for the environment ... but maybe copper cobalt arsenic with a mildewcide added to it.

I continued to do some more research. Apparently since cedar already takes care of itself from decaying, indicates that it already has what it needs to prevent algae and mildew from growing. Not 100% but pretty good.

Why don't you try drilling some screws so they stick out of your bike tires? or scoring the surface of the deck for traction?

Why don't you try drilling some screws so they stick out of your bike tires? or scoring the surface of the deck for traction?

Drilling screws in the bike tire haha...right.
Scoring the wood for better traction is a much better idea :)

Drilling screws in the bike tire haha...right.
Scoring the wood for better traction is a much better idea :)

Sure, take some 1/4 inch sheet metal screws and drill them from the inside of the tire to the outside. Make sure to use a knobby and make sure each screw comes through a big lug. Then take an old slick and cut the bead off, put it inside your knobby to protect your tube. Stick it on your bike, works great. I am surprised you have never heard of it.

Sure, take some 1/4 inch sheet metal screws and drill them from the inside of the tire to the outside. Make sure to use a knobby and make sure each screw comes through a big lug. Then take an old slick and cut the bead off, put it inside your knobby to protect your tube. Stick it on your bike, works great. I am surprised you have never heard of it.

That might not be a bad idea for riding on the ice but where I am placing this wood, I will be riding on dirt, asphalt and wood. I would imagine the asphalt ruining the screws and the screws chewing up the wood to fast.

That might not be a bad idea for riding on the ice but where I am placing this wood, I will be riding on dirt, asphalt and wood. I would imagine the asphalt ruining the screws and the screws chewing up the wood to fast.

Yes its mainly for ice. The first set I had I used about 50 screws per tire. Very heavy but it bit like a rabid dog, good for trails with solid ice all over. Then I made a set with smaller screws just in the centerline of the tire. I used about 10 screws and it helped on slick logs and such but was ridable on other surfaces. The tires held up for years, just don't run into yourself or anybody else.

Hey you are not constructing this stuff where you are not supposed to are you? There are some laws about going into the woods and messing around off of the designated trails.

Yes its mainly for ice. The first set I had I used about 50 screws per tire. Very heavy but it bit like a rabid dog, good for trails with solid ice all over. Then I made a set with smaller screws just in the centerline of the tire. I used about 10 screws and it helped on slick logs and such but was ridable on other surfaces. The tires held up for years, just don't run into yourself or anybody else.

Hey you are not constructing this stuff where you are not supposed to are you? There are some laws about going into the woods and messing around off of the designated trails.

What makes you think I would be partaking in illegal activities?

If you are building mtn bike trails and your bridges etc are covered in algae and moss, it means they are in damp areas and not getting enough sun. This is going to be a chronic problem for you. Even if you can remove the algae, it will be a short term solution and will tend to grow back. What I have seen used on the mtn bike trails around is here is expanded metal grating screwed to the bridges and ramps.

Latest posts

Back