Ozarks farm raised.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OzarksFarmin

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Got a lot if projects going on. Work on my own stuff. Make my own stuff as much as I can. Bandsaw mill + alaskan, umpteen chainsaws 35cc-92cc (034AV is newest acquisition), cows, goats, chickens, wife, 13 y.o. sasquatch. I'm 6'1" and have to look up already. Mostly using this as research/sounding board. 660 scored cylinder... gotta figure out why. 034AV been sitting with no exhaust for 20(?) years has 1/4" of grime caked on it. Gonna split and rebuild, needs piston and maybe jug anyway. Big DIYer.

When they come scored I just tear'm down and replace things from the crank out, no playing games so they are dependable for years. Oem 46mm 034 pistons are rare as hens teeth, your best option is a meteor piston but be aware it may require casting removal in the windows but they run with decent power and are high quality vs other aftermarket pistons. If it only needs rings there were two versions, their difference is the thickness so measure them. If you search in the chainsaw repair section there is a stickie thread where you can request the repair manuals and parts lists in its named "the beg for manuals thread". Beware of bill the hoarder asking 300 bucks for 50 dollar saws if you start asking for used parts in here. You will need to invest about 300 into tools to vac/pressure/compression test, tach to adjust carbs as well as a brass hammer if you do not own one. Use the search function to learn about the nessesary diag tests and how to perform them, if you get hung up ask us and you'll get 4 different ways and opinions.

Thanks. Pretty much the plan on the 034. I'm thinking the only tool I don't have for this stuff is case splitter, but I can make that.
My 660 is a good saw that I think it's my fault it went. Doing maintenance and didn't check the bore before putting it back together (connect bearing). Think it had a rust flake in it and I leaned it out a bit. Combo built for disaster. Cutting a 45" red oak, got the cut done, let off the gas it died, smoked a little, and only pops compression relief now and then. Checked the exhaust side earlier and it's nasty looking. It was a cheap cylinder and piston set but it actually lasted me a little while. Got a set on the way. And yes when I can afford it I generally choose hyway and meteor. Otherwise, it's whatever gets here fastest for least. If I could really afford it I'd be having stihl do it with the 100% right parts while I'm working on something else. But that's life.

Thanks. Pretty much the plan on the 034. I'm thinking the only tool I don't have for this stuff is case splitter, but I can make that.
My 660 is a good saw that I think it's my fault it went. Doing maintenance and didn't check the bore before putting it back together (connect bearing). Think it had a rust flake in it and I leaned it out a bit. Combo built for disaster. Cutting a 45" red oak, got the cut done, let off the gas it died, smoked a little, and only pops compression relief now and then. Checked the exhaust side earlier and it's nasty looking. It was a cheap cylinder and piston set but it actually lasted me a little while. Got a set on the way. And yes when I can afford it I generally choose hyway and meteor. Otherwise, it's whatever gets here fastest for least. If I could really afford it I'd be having stihl do it with the 100% right parts while I'm working on something else. But that's life.
The brass hammer is the "special tool" case splitter, set the carb so rich its fuel burbling the engine until the chain touches wood at which point its supposed to clear up and run strong. If you hurry HLsupply is running 20-40% off on meteor and assorted parts. Hyway is not bad for bearings, gaskets etc but meteor is superior to it. If you have the oem cylinders you might look around in here for ways of cleaning the aluminum off the plating to reuse them if the plating is ok.

On the 660 I wish I still had the OE.. but unfortunately it was ran over by a tractor... it was all I could do to save the main... mostly Holttzblabla now. The 034 has some scoring and is still all original, it's stiff and scratched, but it will rotate. Still gonna split it. Gonna look into some upgrades that I don't have to tamper with to much. But yeah, probably be a completely new machine when I'm done.
*** and it will be lighter than the 660!

Latest posts

Back