Parts Cleaner!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rahtreelimbs

A.K.A Rotten Tree Limbs
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Amoungst My Saws........Fool That Has Too Many!!!
I thought I would show you guys what I have been using to clean saw parts.

This is nothing more than a wand from a bug sprayer hooked up to my stationary tub faucet.

The nice thing is that hot water can be used. Want it hotter............turn up the temp on the hotwater tank!

attachment.php

Killer.... I use the garden hose after spraying with engine degreaser, scrubbing with a brush. Needs to be warm outside though.

Looks good. Although I like my pressure washer at work, but it is a pain to take everything into the shop. I might have to make up something along those lines in the garage.

Steve

Rich that looks like a neat idea. If I lived near you I'd hope I was upstream from your house. :laugh: But then again I live over Snuffies Bar and Grill so I am above it all.

On a lighter note I did happen to see a huge parts washer at a car dealership. It's like a huge dishwasher with steam and has a grease trap to catch all the oil and sludge. Before it drains into the brook.

Marky Mark said:
Rich that looks like a neat idea. If I lived near you I'd hope I was upstream from your house. :laugh: But then again I live over Snuffies Bar and Grill so I am above it all.

On a side note............it is a good idea to put a small screen on the drain just to catch the large stuff that comes off when cleaning!!!

rahtreelimbs said:
I thought I would show you guys what I have been using to clean saw parts.

This is nothing more than a wand from a bug sprayer hooked up to my stationary tub faucet.

The nice thing is that hot water can be used. Want it hotter............turn up the temp on the hotwater tank!

attachment.php
It`s all fun and games until your wife wants to use her laundry sink!

:laugh: :laugh:

I have one of the tub parts cleaners with a pump on it. Im using mineral spirits from Wal Mart because its cheap, but its rough on my hands and stinks. When I get finished cleaning parts and go to the house I have to throw my clothes outside. Know of any good cleaners out there thats not too expensive and not so stinky and rough on the hands?

Drive_1305 said:
Know of any good cleaners out there thats not too expensive and not so stinky and rough on the hands?

The good stuff is never cheap! And, if it doesn't smell (good or bad depending on how much you like the smell of gasoline, solvents, etc :biggrinbounce2: ) it usually isn't worth a damn. I would stay away from water based degreasers, unless of course you are Mr. Moneybag$ and have a Cuda Washer - they are sweet and work very well. For us poor folk garage mechanics, a 5 gallon bucket 1/2 full of paint thinner (mineral spirits, etc.)works well. The problem with mineral spirits is the oily residue. Paint thinner dries without the residue. I use a collander in the bucket and throw all small hardware in there - keeps it out of the bottom of the bucket and makes for easy removal. I let the big parts soak fully submerged for a while to soften the goo, and then hit it with 100psi compressed air - cleans all the crevaces and makes it look like new. If I have any trouble areas of burnt or caked on grease and goo, I use carb cleaner - very strong, xylene based and cuts grease instantly! And, it is only $1.15 a can at Wal-Mart. I am sure the state of California has out-lawed it, but it can be obtained readily in the good parts of the country! 1 can will clean an entire saw, especially if you spend a minute or two and get the big chunks of sawdust and oil out by hand first.

Here are my 2 project saws at the moment, both cleaned as described above.

1194Projects.jpg

04ultra said:
But the Cuda does a nice job..You could also use you wife's dishwasher...
Assuming she's either very understanding or out of town for a week or two this works well.

I simply use compressed air, and toothbrushes, and sharpened popsickle sticks to get into the nooks and crannies. that and some dental picks for the really small spots.

chainsaw cleaner

I convinced my wife that we needed a pressure washer so i could redo the deck and siding, my alternative motive was of course, to use it for chainsaw cleaning. I found i went through several laundry sinks which had grease inbedded in both and the wrath of my wife which went something like, ( How could you use my sinks for that you blank-blank, blank. censured for content. lol. ) Anyway, i was tired of using a toothbrush and paintbrush for the detailed cleaning and the pressurer washer works great on that stubborn grime with the added touch of degreaser. ( Oh yea! I did have to do the deck.)

Doc

Back