Pictures of my new stump grinder.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EERRR HUM ERR HUM..One day i might get to try one of them and i might even buy one. :)

seriously nice machine ,i hope she serves you well ,can i ask what the price was ???

RollaCosta........The machine cost $30,600 in US dollars, including the winch and its installation. I saw the pictures that you posted of your new machine and thats what gave me the idea to do the same. Allow me to tell you about this new machine of mine. I've owned a Carlton 4400-4 for 4 years now and its now paid for and I thought I would continue the payment on a new machine. This machine is a SP7015 with wheels. The same machine is made with tracks and I did demo one but the tracks are just too destructive to nice turf when you turn, so I got the wheels again. The 7015 stands for 70 inch wide sweep and 15 inches below grade depth. The tires are now taller and wider than the 4400-4. They are actually small skid steer tires and the traction is far superior to the 4400-4. It has a two speed ground drive. In high speed mode it travels at a fast walk pace. Its nice when traveling a long way to the stumps. Just flip a switch and its in low speed for grinding. The machine has a hydraulic fluid cooler with an electric fan. The winch was installed by JP Carlton right at the factory. Its the first time they have ever done this for a customer. I live only 200 miles from the factory and I actually drove there to pick up the machine. They custom wired the remote control to my preferred switch pattern. They upgraded from a 5 channel radio to a 6 channel radio and used the 6th channel for the winch. The winch is plumbed into the high flow side of the hydraulic pump and the cable speed is extremely fast. High gear and full throttle pulls the cable in at well over 100 feet per minute at 1600 lb line pull. Low gear is about 20 to 25 feet per minute at 11,000 lb line pull. They welded two large D Rings on the frame above the axle so I could anchor the machine to use the winch for extreme pulling of other objects such as a tree top. They custom fabricated removable chip curtains per my instructions and they liked the idea and may install them on all machines in the future. This machine is 60 HP Diesel and it will take 2 or more inches of wood in a single pass with its 27 inch cutter wheel. Thats 6 inches above grade to 6 inches below grade in only 5 or 6 passes. In the near future, this machine will have 4 wheel drive and a more powerful engine, but its not offered yet. They say that my machine with the Sandvik DURA Disk cutter wheel, It will take 5 inches of wood in a single pass. I hope to try one in the near future.

As I have said before also, Carlton makes a nice machine, they are just too heavy in my opinion and that's probably why they get stuck a lot. I use a 7500 tow behind at work daily and it is a great machine, but at 4400 lbs it will push a pickup around and lift it over wheel chocks when pushing back with lot of chips under it. The 2700 self propelled with Kawasaki motor is a few steps above an grub axe and a winch for stump removal in my opinion.

Nice looking machine, best of luck with it.

good looking 7015

Mccates, This Is A Great Looking Setup On Your New Machine.ive Been Using A 4400-4 For 3 Years And 950 Hours With Excellent Service.the First Thing I Did Was Add A 6000lb. Ramsay Winch On My Machine.i Rarely Have To Hook It Up But It Does Come In Handy.ive Been Able To Get To Stumps With The Winch That My Buddy Cant Reach With His Rayco Super 50 4wd. Ive Heard Some Complain About The Weight Of Carlton Machines.imo Weight Equals Strength ,durabilty,and Long Life Of Machine. I Know One Thing ,when I Drop That Wheel On A Stump,i Dont Want To See My Machine Bouncing Around Like On Some Of The Lighter Machines.they Did A Great Job Of Fabricating The Winch And Other Mods. Just Curious But If I Wanted One Just Like It Who Would I Talk To At Carlton?

Howel07264.........I'm with you Howel, When someone talks about how heavy built the carlton machines are I take it as a complement. How many times have you heard someone say that a Vermeer or Rayco was overbuilt???? Carlton knows that the machines are overbuilt and they do it on purpose. I used to own a Vermeer grinder. I bought it used and it was dented up and bent in several places. I'll take a few hundred pounds more for a better built machine. Most of my jobs are on someone's yard and getting stuck is not something that happens much at all. If its too wet I just schedule the job at a later date but that doesn't happen much. the winch is for the hard to get to stumps like the ones on a 20+ degree slope and for pulling whatever else needs pulling. And for the few times when I get stuck I can get out with no problem. Howel, If you are looking to buy a new Carlton, just call them and tell them what you want to do. Thats all I did. They were more than willing to work with me. I bought the winch on the internet and had it shipped to them and they installed it for me. They said that they were not in the market to install winches but were willing to do it. That was the first time that they had ever done that or even had the request to do so. They liked the Mile Marker hydraulic winch so much that they are looking to start installing them on their chippers instead of building their own as they are now. I just wonder if Vermeer or Rayco would have been willing to custom install a winch for me?..........I doubt it. Oh, for those of you who would like to know, this machine weighs 3500 lbs.

heavy,, light,,does it really matter??? if it's too sloppy to walk through,, you shouldn't run your machine through there....i've had my 352 vemeer stuck ...no big deal,,, lift with the wheel,,put scrap plywood under tires,,repeat as needed,,,drive away.....

it sure looks the part,hows the remote set-up going?is it 44hp or higher?

Juststumps........Exactly my thinking, If its too wet I will schedule another day. I sure do hate the plywood thing, not to mention the destruction of someones yard.

a lopa.........Thanks for the complement... For those who have never used a remote control machine, It will make the same machine much more productive, mainly due to the fact that you can stand where you can see much better. Getting out of the dust and noise is a major plus....This machine is 60 HP turbo diesel.

going to do some biggish ash stumps tommorow with the super/jnr sure wish i had that!

:) Sorry I asked so many times, I didn't realize there was another page to look at. Enjoy your new tool/toy.

Carlton 7015 UK

Nice Price, the same machine with winch in the UK would retail at £20,500 not bad when you consider we have to import, pay duty tax and fit European safety regulation extras, And we deliver to the customer as well.

UK users users think that equipment is far cheaper in the USA I think this proves it's about the same price. :p

Back