Pimply Maples

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoopie

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has ever seen sugar maples have "pimply" bark, and if you know what causes it. I've got a stand of them that all have it. I think i read somewhere once that it's not harmful. Sorry I don't have any pictures of it at this time. It covers every inch of them from the ground to about 8ft up. Little bumps about the size of an easer on the end of a pencil,or smaller.

Thanks

waiting for the pictures...but I am pretty sure I know what you are talking about. I have always understood it to just be a 'deformity', not associated with any other organism and has no impact on the health of the tree. I have wondered if these trees would result in birds eye maple, but not had the opportunity to cut into one...

That is what I had in mind. I was going to say they 'pimples' were a little bigger than what I usually see, but that second picture looks like the tree is only a couple inches in caliper...

Latest posts

Back