pine for alkaline soil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ann plymale

Reaction score
I live in Ft. Worth, Texas. The soil here is too alkaline for most of the pines but have seen some doing well (ie, not yellowing) Read that there was an Afghan pine or something like it that grows native in alkaline soils. Is this true? If so, where should i look? I keep finding the common longleaf varities in the nurseries and have seen how poorly they are doing around town for years.Thanks for any info you can give me.
Ann

Ann,

Look into Blue Spruce, Douglar-fir, pinion pine and ponderosa pine. The later pine is native to western Nebraska, Wyoming, Colorado and Utah. I live in an area where the pH is 8.5+ and these species grow very well here. I have no knowlede of an Afgan pine, maybe you mean Austrian Pine? Good Luck.

Todd

I've heard of a P. eldarical 'Mondale' that is a cv of ahpgan pine I may be misspelling it because I could not pull any links.

Maybe Lou Hampton has heard of it. It is suposed to be popular in his neck of the woods.

Latest posts

Back