Pine Tree Disease

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salesi

Reaction score
We have property that use to be a tree farm. There are about five rows of pines with a few different varieties.

About four or five of one variety of the pine trees have what I believe is a disease since they are dropping their needles. There needles are long and fine. One was almost completely needless and I cut it down. The remaining ones do not look much better.

I had an arborist out and he stated it was a result of a parasite carried by the sawfly. I took one of the branches of the remaining trees down to the extension office and they stated it was normal for pine trees to drop their needs and the one tree I had to cut down was not infested with any disease. Can anyone help. Thanks.

Sounds like your trees might be white pines. Do they have 5 needles in each bunch?

To figure out pine problems, helps to look at an area on the tree where the healthy needles meet the yellowing needles.
Some problems affect the new growth at the tips, others affect the older needles, and still others affect both. What do you have?
Take a close look at the newly yellowed needles, can you see little spots?

Hi Salesi,Look very closely at the upper part of the trees you have cut down.If you see tiny holes and can hear a faint scratching noise,you may have what we(in Ga.) call Pine post Beatles.These are small boring beatle that get between the bark and the wood and slowly kills the tree.These will kill many acreas of pines in a few years time.I hope this is NOT your case. Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back