Pittsburgh Experience

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guy Meilleur

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
THread got sidetracked into climbing doodads so trying again. Anyone with feedback on educational offerings or the conference in general?

Fun conference, good to meet Dan and murph and nick etc.!

Didn't get to see it but heard that murph's talk/picture show went well. ISA is doing a lot of good things, and will do more as people from the field keep getting involved..

The BCMA test was a bear; only 15 tried it and 6 did not pass. If it was a cash grab I think it would have been easier...an incredible amount of time and effort went into making it.

Field Day saw this guy Marion from NY showing a SUPER slide show with fungal ID and pics, then in the field whacking trees with a claw hammer and excising infections--a man after my own heart.

30 copies of Fungal Strategies book sold after some guy endorsed it.

SCA Field Day a good mix of product description and demo. Some drifted into infomercial (the software one especially), but great to see things that work in the field. Nothing like having tree workshop out where the trees are.

Baseball game high drama; pirates won with 2 out bottom of the ninth, a slide at home just ahead of the tag.

Hope to see more of you in Nashville!

Yes, excising infections instead of shrugging at them is a better way of doing Residential Tree Care. PHC products, cambistat use, all the stuff murph had pix of, are too. Much of the stuff on CTCAC has nothing to do with Commercial Tree Care, just "progressive" tree murder. So this isn't so far off, is it Erik?:confused:

Swell, Dan! I own my home too. Say, how's the canker on your post oak? Don't hold your breath waiting for UGA to give an answer, but keep pestering them, and when they do, let me know what they say ok?

Isn't it nice to have another forum for tree CARE talk, since CTCAC is so swamped with tree removal issues and gearchat that anything else gets buried there?:eek:

Removals are a part of tree care. Some trees are removed to allow better/more desireable trees to flourish.

That said, a forum dedicated to stricly PHC would indeed be a benefit- at least it would concentrate it in one easier to browse forum.

My opinion (fwiw) would be to rename the pest. & fert. forum since it's rarely used, and is inclusive of tree CARE in general.

If you'd be interested in pursuing this, you'd certainly have my support.

:)

Originally posted by netree
Removals are a part of tree care. Some trees are removed to allow better/more desireable trees to flourish.
Tons of :jester: s left in Erik, for sure. Murder is a part of human health care; allows better humans to flourish. Yes, every tree's life has to come to an end, but an arborist by definition works to make them live. But we've hoed this row already, haven't we? :p

Also we've covered the forum revamp idea. Bottom line before I thought was to use Residential for tree CARE topics. Res is used so little it'll do.

Ya gots a sense of humah, Guy, I'll grant ya that...
but trees aren't humans. Neither are animals.

Hell, if you feel that strongly, why not lobby against new home building? After all, it usually requires some kind of LOT CLEARING. (And displaces animals, too.)

This forum shoulda been named "Homeowner assistance forum", like over at lawnsite.

Absolutely.

Remember my thread on Duckbill earth anchors? Sure got lost in the fray in a hurry!

i think a forum for the bank of knowledge and what it could bring is a good idea Guy. That, the turning of thought from the only tool most know to 'fix' a tree is a saw for amputations; to these other options is important and eye opening. Also, that it is at enough odds being against the grain of the way most think, and do some real good.

i started a thread here called Proper Wounding ; purposefully aimed at perhaps what a homeowner should ask, know; but not know to ask; so i don't think starting a thread of useful info that a homeowner might not know to ask, is out of line.

Trees are a keystone species to the planet.

Back