Planting Guidelines

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark B. Freeman

Reaction score
I wish to plant several Black Walnuts, some Sugar and Red Maples, and Cherry.

I live in zone 6 and have 5 acres, 4.5 of which is in trees, mostly hardwoods such as Water Oak, Southern Red Oak, Hickory, and a few other Oak species.

I have a good site near the back of my property that is well drained with a subtle slope that eventually goes into a hollow.
There is a good exposure to sunlight in this area.

I wish to grow the Black Walnuts, Sugar Maples, and Cherrys for wood. That is to say, somewhere in the future, they may be great specimens for beautiful craft wood. I understand that it will take many years for these trees to attain the desired height and form.So, I am in no hurry. Let nature do her handiwork.

The information I need is how close should I plant the trees to get the maximum height. I am not interested in shade or ornamental aspects. This will help me to plan on how many I can plant. The area is approximately 60-70 square yards.

Also, I am aware of the conflict between Black Walnuts and vegetable gardens. My garden spot is on the opposite end of the property.

One other thing: I need to know a nursery in the souhteast or northeast that has Cherry tree seedlings. I can obtain the Black Walnuts and Maples, but, I have not been able to find the Cherry trees.

Thanks for your time and any information you may have.

Mark B. Freeman

Latest posts

Back