Plugs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Red, I had to buy one of those goofy forked plugs (for the life of me I can't remember what the name is) I was working on a Red Maple at a friends house after a storm, didn't have time to go over my saws and check all the usual things, and my XL12 stated to start hard, thought I'd better replace the plug, give it a quick tune and get back to working. Home Depot was the closest, knowing all I'd be able to get their was most likely a champion plug...I thought its better than the almost 4 year old plug in the saw, and I'd replace it when I got a better one, until I got their and they didn't have the right plug. They did however have one of those forked plugs that crossed to the correct plug number.

What a WASTE of $7.50! It ran no better that if I'd have bought the Champion I thought I was going to have to buy. Even though it's forked , it still can only make 1 spark, and if the plug fouls, its not going to foul only 1 half of the plug, its just a sales gimmick. Give me a plain old Autolite any day.

SplitFire is the name of the plugs. They never worked that good. The theory behind them is that the split electrode was to provide a better flame front in the cylinder without indexing the plugs.

The trick I have used for years on all sorts of engines is to cut back the ground electrode so that it is not over the center electrode. This does cause the plug to wear more, but to me it is worth it.

ButcherGY54 said:
SplitFire is the name of the plugs. They never worked that good. The theory behind them is that the split electrode was to provide a better flame front in the cylinder without indexing the plugs.

The trick I have used for years on all sorts of engines is to cut back the ground electrode so that it is not over the center electrode. This does cause the plug to wear more, but to me it is worth it.

38897_largesparkplug.jpg

No, its E3 plugs..

I cut back the electrodes on the plugs in my vette and while it did make a slight difference, it was countered by the fact that they were shot in under 5K miles.

RED-85-Z51 said:
38897_largesparkplug.jpg

No, its E3 plugs..

I cut back the electrodes on the plugs in my vette and while it did make a slight difference, it was countered by the fact that they were shot in under 5K miles.

If there is a gain in cutting back the electrodes, it would be the same gain that a couple more degrees of timing and a better air-fuel ratio would make under partial loads. (I'm sure your vette felt the same under wot?)

Years ago, plugs could be indexed readily by adding and subtracting the base gaskets, opening the gap towards more optimal flame front travel, this was proven not worth the time.

It may be just me, but I'm from the school that says it either lites, or it didn't light, that lighting better is a function of combustion chamber design air-fuel ratio , valve/port - ignition timing being tuned for the pressures the engine is needed to run.

I won't even give as much credit to multi-fire ignitions as they would only help if there is another problem.

Back