possible acacia in oakland CA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueRider

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
central coast area of California, home to all the
I recieved the following email this moring. Unfortuantely I am almost 4 hours away and can't justify the fuel to go check it out. if someone in the area is interested please report back what the treeas actualy are and how big they are. I recieved a tip about a 60" diameter acacia near this same area about a year ago. The acacia in question would most likely be acacia melonoxlyn, aka Australian blackwood

<"Howdy,
I found you online. fyi- the Port of Oakland has had a contractor chop down a bunch of trees which they are proceeding to grind up into mulch. I believe alot of them are black acacia some up to 24" trunk(apx) and I hate to see them go to waste. They are all down 14th street in oakland the cross street and entrance is at maritime st. The rain seems to have stopped the grinding process for the time being. Interested ??">

So... is Australian blackwood worth a little 3000 mile run out west? ...almost.

Actually, if I was reasonably sure it was indeed that wood, and that size, and actually available, I would be willing to take an all day trip for something that rare (rare to me here anyway).

Acacia is so common in california that most people think it is a native species. 24" is starting to get into the rare size range for around here. I have seen one that was 48" and heard about a 60"er, most of the acacia is 10" and under or more of a shrub size. There is also a tremendous inconcistancy in the quallity of acacia trees. Some trees have long straight trunks, and some are short trunked with multiple long limbs.

My biggest aprehension about traveling 4 hours is the possibility that the trees are not acasia or are significantly smaller than 24". I am guessing there is a significant chance that some of the trees are eucalyptus. or even black locust (robinia psudoacacia). If I knew from a reliable source what the actual situation is and the amount of cooperation from the port autority I would borrow my neighbors flat bed trailer and drive up with a friend and pick up some of the logs.

...My biggest aprehension about traveling 4 hours is the possibility that the trees are not acasia or are significantly smaller than 24".
I too have learned the hard way that when somebody tells me they have a 24 inch cherry tree and do I want it, that I don't get my hopes up till I'm standing next to it. I've been promised cherry that turned out to be birch, maple that turned out to be gum tree, oak was ash. Not complaining, as I'm not expecting homeowners to know tree species, but that's my point, I don't know what I have till I'm standing in front of it. Then, don't know why, but almost every time a homeowner tells me the dia of a tree or log over the phone or email, I subtract 4-6 inches and dang if that's not a lot closer to ACTUAL dia every time. Nature of the beast.

I too have learned the hard way that when somebody tells me they have a 24 inch cherry tree and do I want it, that I don't get my hopes up till I'm standing next to it. I've been promised cherry that turned out to be birch, maple that turned out to be gum tree, oak was ash. Not complaining, as I'm not expecting homeowners to know tree species, but that's my point, I don't know what I have till I'm standing in front of it. Then, don't know why, but almost every time a homeowner tells me the dia of a tree or log over the phone or email, I subtract 4-6 inches and dang if that's not a lot closer to ACTUAL dia every time. Nature of the beast.

The only exception I have found to this is when the trees are over 36" seems like the trees get biger but people still describe them as 36". I hadn't put a fugure to it like you but 4-6" is consistant with my experiance as well.

I have had eucalyptus described as walnut, sycamore as sweet gum, and ash as "alder or acacia or one of those trees that start with an 'A'"-that was a particular favorite of mine.

there are only a few kinds of wood I would make 4 hour drive for, acacia is one but it would have to be a trailer full of 24"+ logs. I would be less than happy if I got there and found everything had been bucked or that the only logs were eucalyptus.

Latest posts

Back