Potassium nitrate for removing stumps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikewhite85

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So I actually have a couple jobs right now that involve removing stumps on steep hills where a stump grinder cannot reach. I would love to buy an alpine magnum but cannot afford it at the moment.

If I was to drill holes and pour potassium nitrate would I need to mix the chemical first with water? What is the best way to do this? I have heard it is preferable to cover the stumps with chips or even a thick garbage bag to contain the moisture so it rots faster.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0T61Q4YNSGHE66GWTEZ7

Seems to be the best deal I can find. I assume the "Stump Not" stuff from Bailey's is essentially the same thing. Certainly not the quickest way to remove a stump but my clients are merely concerned about them not sprouting up again.

You can buy a carbide blade made for a ms200t cheap. Cut it low and poison it. Sometimes I see old stumps with X's cut on them. The way to do it is make a fresh base cut and flood the thing with round-up. It get's sucked in so fast you can see it. You could always let them know to call you if they see any sprouting. No charge. Take over their worries.
Jeff

Latest posts

Back