Potential High Dollar Job

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpikedSupra

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My father is the town attorney for a town not far from here called Ponce Inlet. A new sub-division in that city just had about 100 palms transplanted and they look terrible. They need serious trimming. My father told me that because of his status with the city that he could very likely land me that job. It looks like I may be jumping into the profession head first with this job if I get it. It will definitely require some hired help, but I feel I am prepared for the task. This job could net me a good profit to purchase more necessary equipment for my business. I just thought I would share the good news.

palms

Make sure you only trim the brown dead fronds. Newly transplanted trees shouldn't be pruned until 1 year, so they can become established. Also, on the average,you should be able to trim 35-40 trees a day on a ladder or 50 a day with a bucket. One other person can keep up if you're chipping, 2 if you're loading.

Good Advice

Ken,
Its ok that we didnt get together cause I wasnt there anyway. My boss needed an emergency crew for a big tree job he got at the last minute that Tues. I'll be sure and remember what you said about not trimming live growth till 1 year after the transplant. If I do get the job I will only trim the dead frons. I will be hauling so I will probably get 2 friends to load for me while I cut. Thanks.

I know I am not familiar with southern plants, so I won't even get into that. However I should ask this... isn't there some sort of law about some conflict of interests or something? Also, how do you plan on hauling all those palm fronds (if in fact they do need to be removed) and how do you expect to get rid of them? Then on top of that... if this is a job for the town or even just for a builder... I believe they will let you do the job... however in order to get paid you need to hand them a copy of your liability and W/C insurance. Otherwise they don't have to pay you. I hear that a lot of builders like to play that game.

They might have thought to trim them up before putting them into the ground; and i might not want to think of even leaning a ladder on them until they have really set into the ground and anchored for a while...............

Hey Guys

Sorry it has taken me a while to get back to this post. Anyway, If I did indeed get the job it wouldnt be for another month at least and like you guys said I wouldnt plan on climbing them if they were not set. I believe they were transplanted a few months ago. I am yet to run by and check out the worksite but when I do I will let you know how it looks. I also will most definitely take lots of before and after pictures so you guys can rip on...er...uh...um...constructively criticize my beautiful work...hehe:p

Back