Poulan Pro 5020av + Mac3200 won't start help needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfphoto

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Dear Readers, Hi visiting the east coast to help my friend. I am working on two chainsaws that are fairly old Poulan Pro 5020av and mcculloch mac3200. I have some knowledge of 2 strokes since i have a vintage yamaha rd250 but these tiny engines are a little strange.

One note: I did not fill either with oil so maybe that's a problem? The gas is new with 2stroke gas mixed to about 40-50-1

What I've done:

Poulan:
I replaced the gas, coil, spark-plug gapped to .28, the fuel bulb which was cracked, fuel line, removed the carb. sprayed it with clean but I didn't take it apart. I did remove the cover where the float would be but forgot what that's called.

Using starter fluid I can't get it to sound like it wants to start. I read about the gas cap not sealing and on the breather and I see some gas leaking a bit from the breather, and the cap is really hard to screw on rubber o-ring looks pretty good but I'm wondering about it being bad or cracked. The engine feels like it has a lot of compression but very limited tools here. I did a continuity test on the kill switch all seems ok. I also let it dry out completely for a full 24 hours in the sun. When I refilled the tank, I pushed the bulb 6x see fuel in the bulb, tried starting it about 10-20x I pulled the plug and I smell fuel but it is not overly wet.

Mac3200:
I replaced the fuel lines which which were broken, the oil line, plug, removed the carb cleaned it off, checked spark, this one sounded like it would start at first before I removed the carb and replaced the broken lines but after again zero on wanting to start, I pulled the plug and it was a bit wet but not soaking I've watched about 10-15 videos on this and I can't get to a place where I can figure it out.

My friend thinks I'm wasting time but this is sort of upsetting me, her gardener didn't help much since they didn't maintain these saws.

According to the specs the gap should be
.025 (not too big a deal)
Try disconnecting the on/off switch to see if it's no good, if not the coil is an issue.
Did you readjust the needles properly?
Usually starts at about 2.5 turns out from seat.

Homelite collector in training [emoji879]

Hi I appreciate the reply, I did take the kill switch off on one of the saws but I forgot, on the gap, I had to go with taking a business card .14 and doubling it so I have to sort of guess, I did try it at .14 as one video showed that. I will test both without the kill switch today.

Do you have a multimeter?
You should test the coil too.

Homelite collector in training [emoji879]

Hi thanks for the reply, I tested both coils for continuity (Poulan and Mac3200) The poulan was dead so I bought a replacement I see spark and the meter said good. The Mac3200 at first I thought it was bad but it was a bit too light in the garage, I tested it both with the meter and see continuity and I see spark.

I use a business card to set all my saw coils. Never had a problem and had a nice hot blue spark. May want to pull carbs apart and make sure it's clean inside and the soft parts are still soft and not stiff. Also make sure needle valve is working correctly and not stuck.
I've got a 3200, can be a cuss at sometimes. Starts and runs when it want to. When it does, it'll run all day without a hitch.
Steve Sidwell

I did try to put gas directly down the throat and same results nothing... I was trying to get even a remote running sound to target an area... I'm not familiar with the more detailed electrical issues.

Back