Presets for Spinning and Breaking Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Instead of a measuring chart, here is what I did. I put a pin at the end of my bench that goes through the hole in the chain link. I stretched a chain along the edge of the bench. I marked off ever 10th link on the bench. I also marked popular lengths that I use. Hook the end on the pin and stretch the chain out on the marks. It is much faster than using the chart. My bench has an aluminum angle on the edge. That makes it easier to mark off the lengths. The pin is on the right end of the bench. My rivet breaker and spinner is towards the left end of the bench. It takes me less than 5 minutes to make up a chain with this setup.
Photos?

Thanks!

Philbert

Instead of a measuring chart, here is what I did. I put a pin at the end of my bench that goes through the hole in the chain link. I stretched a chain along the edge of the bench. I marked off ever 10th link on the bench. I also marked popular lengths that I use. Hook the end on the pin and stretch the chain out on the marks. It is much faster than using the chart. My bench has an aluminum angle on the edge. That makes it easier to mark off the lengths. The pin is on the right end of the bench. My rivet breaker and spinner is towards the left end of the bench. It takes me less than 5 minutes to make up a chain with this setup.
Yup, đź‘Ť

I've seen the clipped-nail/marker method, and it's incredibly cost-effective. BUT, isn't that a PITA for multiple chain sizes? I run:
3/8" Pico: pole and small saws
3/8" (full height): mid-size saws
.404": large saw

(With my retarded looking scribbling instead of permanent marker I should probably use red crayon.) --Wait a minute, serious thought: Wouldn't crayon work to mark a vinyl chain length chart "reasonably permenently" until using a paper towel to "erase" it? Since buying/selling ported saws is common I can see the need to add and remove notes and link counts over time.

Latest posts

Back