PRO Hedge Trimmer- Single or Double sided

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That single sided cutter is pretty much useless unless you are just trimming last weeks growth of leaves on the hedge. If you want to do some actual hedge trimming, as in a year or more of growth, you'll need the larger double sided trimmer.

That single sided cutter is pretty much useless unless you are just trimming last weeks growth of leaves on the hedge. If you want to do some actual hedge trimming, as in a year or more of growth, you'll need the larger double sided trimmer.
Great point, the double siders usually have much more stout blades meant for heavier trimming.

Although I am not familiar with those models, the single side trimmers are generally lighter, and usually have a greater distance between the teeth. Because they are lighter, they also tend to come in longer lengths, so as to cover more area.

The double sided trimmers let you use either side to cover whatever position you happen to be standing in. The single side trimmers can strand you in a tight spot, forcing you to "trim down", when you would rather "trim up".

Single side trimmers generally have the 2nd handle mounted to the middle of the bar. Some folks like this better, but I prefer the chainsaw type of grips. They allow you to switch hands according to the best position. I used to have a really fine set of Little Wonder trimmers. They cut great, but my guys would always come back with a big cut on their thigh after more than 1/2 day of trimming. Their right hand would fatigue, they would get careless, and they drooped the blade down and cut themselves. EVEN AFTER I WARNED THEM ABOUT IT!

Latest posts

Back