Pruning Crepe Myrtle in July?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EBW123

Reaction score
Neighbor for the first time in 10 years is complaining about 27-year-old white crepe myrtle flowers and leaves blowing onto her condominium patio and allegedly staining and has requested that I trim the tree to half its height. I have not pruned the tree and it is currently about 20 - 25 feet. there is 7-foot wall between patios. I understand through research that I may not be responsible for for the naturally occurring "debris" that lands on her property, but I want to at least investigate my options to be a "good neighbor." I have never met her as it is a rent condo and received letter from her.l

I will be contacting reputable tree company/arborisr but wanted to check with you kind folks here first.

The tree is currently in full bloom. Can crepe myrtle in Texas at this time of year (late July) be pruned/trimmed without harming the tree? How much can be safely trimmed/pruned? If flowers/seed pods are ony trimmed, will not the tree bloom again? Is such selective pruning cost pohibitive?

I assume I cannot just cut such a large tree in half at one time as such severe trimming must be done over a period of time. Is that correct? Is not February during the dormant stage the best time of pruning? What are the risks of "messing" with the tree now. While I am willing to cooperate, I do not want to risk the health and well beng of the tree.

Any advice or recommendations you can kindly give me will be most appreciated.

Elizabeth

Do NOT allow a 50% height reduction! That is too much too soon. Personally I would buy her a broom. Unless your HOA is going to get involved I would ignore the letter. It sounds like SHE is the issue rather than the tree.

Latest posts

Back