Pruning sealer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FISH BAIT

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
What can I use to seal the limbs after I trim? I have always used good exterior house paint, but now I'm wondering if it's harming the trees.

Thanks FB

More important is where you make the cut. Branches generally have a raised area on the larger stem, around the base of the branch. Making the final trim cut, after dropping the limb, just beyond that raised area gives the tree the best chance to heal over the cut.

On conifers, use shellac. Pitch will bleed through most paints. Not shellac.

Is there any evidence painting over exposed wood on cuts will prevent borers from entering? This is after the tree has healed over the cut on larger limb removals. I was just curious since borers are starting to do a number on the oaks in my neighborhood.

I have been painting over my cuts for a while with no sign of damage to the tree or insect damage after. Its just something my dad told me to do years ago. On the gulf coast we have just about every kind of plant killing bug known to man. In the past few years it's been so dry that the pines have had serious betel issues. Thanks again for the advice!

FB

Avoid making big wounds. Reduction is better than removal in many cases.
If you have to make big wounds, painting the heartwood might deter cracking and borers.

Is there any evidence painting over exposed wood on cuts will prevent borers from entering? This is after the tree has healed over the cut on larger limb removals. I was just curious since borers are starting to do a number on the oaks in my neighborhood.
No evidence at all. Some paints can deter compartmentalization leaving the cut open longer than if not painted. In areas prone to oak wilt it is recommended to paint cuts but pruning at the proper time of year is much more important. I use Lac Balsam for esthetic purposes only.

Back