Quick and dirty cambium saver?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
is this (see pic) similar to what you have??? (this is my adjustable false crotch setup. I throwline up, let the weight return to ground, tie on the end of the rope and then i haul up the pulley/cambiumsaver/anchor rope + my climbing line (rigged thru the pulley). I then anchor off the false crotch system somewhere down at ground, around a tree, using a tensionless hitch (bombproof anchor setup)

frictionsaver7.jpg

frictionsaver1.jpg

with a TREECLIMBER :biggrinbounce2: on rope....lol
frictionsaver8.jpg

Nice setup SRT, use a very similar one myself sometimes. My only concern is that, unless I'm mistaken, the prussic cord supporting your pulley is rated at 2900#, and definately a weak link in your system.

WLL, nice work on the friction saver, gonna have to try that out.

Nice setup SRT, use a very similar one myself sometimes. My only concern is that, unless I'm mistaken, the prussic cord supporting your pulley is rated at 2900#, and definately a weak link in your system.

prussick cord? :confused: :confused: :confused:

only knot in that system is the double figure 8 for attaching the carabiners for the pulley...

SRT.....the cord in which the dbl figure eight knot is tied is what I'm refering to. I believe it's the same stuff as page 8 of the Sherril catalog. It is labeled accessory cord there. The tensile strength of the tan/blue cord is 2900 pounds, not meeting the 5000# mininum tensile strength for climbing system components.

AH! nope, thats Static rescue rope, rated at 6000lbs, 11.5mm. (the red cord was just to demonstrate where the climbign rope would go). Thats a full size Petzl Rescue pulley, 3" pulley, 4.5" sideplates

after you set your rope, simply tie a slip knot underneath leather cambium saver to pull up, then a sharp yank will release slip knot.

Haven't tried a leather cambium saver yet but I have one coming in the mail. the only thing I'm wondering is do you tie your slipknot closer to the end of the rope thats tied to the throwline so basically right when the rope gets overthe crotch the cambium saver is right behind it and then yank out the slipknot and pull the rest of the rope because the cambium saver stays in place. Or do you want to pull over a considerable amount of rope before yanking out the slipknot. You don't have to guesstimate the cambium saver placement exactly do you? It will usually get stuck in the crotch and the rope will slide?

Is there any way to protect the bark on a delicate tree without spending the big bucks for one of those nice ones from Buckingham and such? The reason I ask is I know that's chump change for a pro, but as of now, I'm only climbing occaisonally and trimmingmy own trees but I have a maple and I loquat I need to climb and prune. I fear that they would take soime damage from the DRT without some sort of friction limiting device. thanks,
J.D.

Singing Rock Jingle II Friction Saver, they come in cm so you have to convert. I think this one is 100cm or around 3'. Cheaper than buckingham.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Singing-Roc...128261?hash=item2359f5ad45:g:1VkAAOSwv0tU7Mvv

I also use this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weaver-Leat...837514?hash=item2a5000840a:g:n24AAOSwpDdVQS6T
it might be cheaper on treestuff.com

Back