radiators and dust

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kf_tree

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
while we were waiting for our new bucket altec gave us a loner truck. the truck only had 11,000 mile on it and the condenser, intercooler and radiator were packed with sawdust. we just got the new truck last night so i spent about 3 hours making a frame for a screen and mounted it in front of the condenser to protect the condenser , intercooler and radiater. the truck is a 2002 gmc 7500 . how do you guys deal with all the saw dust. the truck has air brakes so i want to set up a blower off the compresser to blow it out. any other ideas?

On the Chipper i usually use a Water hose and wash it out If done regularly it wont get too packed in.:blob2: Ive never noticed any in the Bucket truck Radiator.

When I was working for a local city several years ago, we got a couple new trucks and they had AIR CONDITIONING! A couple of us got in the habit of leaving the trucks running while chipping and the A/C in the chip truck wasn't working so good after less than 6 months. Sawdust was the culprit.
Had a 3 yr old bucket truck at Davey tree that kept running hot. The shop foreman said the radiator needed to be re-cored, and he couldn't get it scheduled for a week. I washed the radiator out from BOTH directions with a hose and water pistol for about 15 minutes. No more overheating, never had to spend big bucks on the radiator.
Washing out the radiator fins on a regular basis- every couple weeks/months/whatever- will go a long way towards saving you from future problems.

I hope you blow out your saws a little more often than the truck, it keeps them from overheating and dying young. Maintainance is important and it pays big time to have a regular schedule. While you're at it check the condenser on the fridge for me honey? Don't you just love the wife looking at what you are posting?

My climbing saw gets blown out (including bar and around sprocket) every 2-3 days, or about every 10 tanks of fuel. I usually do all my other saws at the same time, even if I haven't used them much.

Back