rayco 1625 engine upgrade

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt hanneke

Reaction score
my kohler ch730 is very tired and im ready to replace but would like more power, ive called both rayco and kohler and they will not help with any advice on an upgrade, anyone know what engine numbers so i can order a larger engine that will bolt up in place of the current engine with minimal modification, also my current engine has the small standerd air filter and i would really like to see a large donaldson type filter since grinding is so dusty, the engine has 1 7/16 shaft and all the controls are on the front keyswitch throttle and chock, i dont care which brand engine kohler briggs subaru just more power, thanks

Hi Matt,

You have to be careful when going up in power as many manufacturer's go up in size on the shafts in order to handle more torque. Check your machine as I believe it uses 1 1/2" shaft on the cutter wheel. I think the 1 1/2" shaft should be able to handle a 35hp engine. You just can't put any engine on it as the engine base is specifically designed for that engine. There will have to be modifications made to the engine mounting plate as well. If the shaft coming out of the new engine is higher or lower than the previous engine, you'll have a nightmare on your hands as you may have to build a new belt guard as well. You may want to consider having that engine rebuilt and selling the grinder and then move up to a larger model. I wish, it was as simple as putting a new engine on it.

Hope this helps!

Dave
Global Equipment
770-420-6400

Search for thread "LIST OF UPGRADES TO VERMEER 252. Has info on making the swap to a 35hp Vanguard engine. Engine mounting plate is about all you need to modify. Shaft size and height are same as 25 or 27hp Kohler. I did it on the 252.

Stumper63

Matt, how many hours did your ch730 make?

Thanks Marne

im not sure maybe around 1000 its not the original engine, stumper 63 do you think since i have the rayco the swap would be the same as the vermeer 252

I think so, both use electric clutch so as long as you get the same shaft dia and length, which is easy, there's nothing else to swap over except the new wiring on the motor. Just order one with the engine mounted choke and throttle and key switch and you're good to go. Will just have to make a new mounting plate since the block is bigger on the 35hp engine, they call it a big block.
Or if you don't want to hassle with that I think Kohler makes up to a 30hp engine in the "small block" like the ch730. Would bolt right up it would seem.
The new Subaru 40hp claims it almost lines up with the small block Kohler or Briggs, not sure what that means. I did notice that Rayco started using them on their grinders this year.

Stumper63

I wanted to put on such a subaru on my 252. After some research and calculations I decided not to do it.

These subarus/generacs seem to produce indeed an amount of torque around 62ft lb and this will be too much for the shafts and belts.
Plyscamp upgraded his 252 diesel with 64ft lb with a tougher drive strain. Not without a reason, I guess

Another 252user did this to his 40hp kohler too.

And yes, I already started doing drawings for preparing the mounting plate for a subaru and the footprint is slightly larger than the one from a ch740.
The big block kohlers have an obvious larger mounting pattern.
Stumper63 is right, Ch750s have the same bolt on pattern as 740s.

Stan put a 34hp (now 32.5hp) kohler with success on his 252. Seems reasonable and torquey enough.

Back