Recall of Brave splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hazard: The log splitter’s hydraulic cylinders can have defective rod retention, causing the seals to leak and the rods to detach. This can result in serious injury to the operator, as the rod can rapidly and unexpectedly extend the splitting wedge.

i guess what they're saying is the force could shoot the rod out of the cylinder. i also noticed there was other recalls on that brand.

i read at some web site a while ago that sold log splitters that they stated they will no longer sell those types of log splitters because of the lack of warranty service...i can't remember who the web site was tho.

Whew, Mine isn't on the list. I just have the little baby 8 ton. Still not a good thing.

I have a 26 ton Brave that is not part of the recall. I really like mine, it has worked great. I think it was a run of faulty cylinders, beyond their control.

I have a 26 ton and I love it. Fortunately my S/N is not on the list. Thanks for the info Harry K.

Thanks so much for posting this. I found that my splitter is part of the recall.

I am upset at brave, because a year ago. I had the rod come lose in the cylinder it extended about 1 inch longer to the point the wedge was hitting the base plate. I had emailed with pictures and called brave and they told me the cylinder was not under recall. (If you did not know this is the 2nd recall of cylinders) I now find out it is under the “new” recall. I had tightened the rod with help of a friend. Brave wanted about $200 for a new cylinder.

I have email Brave today about it. I included a copy of prior email with pictures. I will call on Monday.

Ethan

Well Brave has made it right. I now have a New cylinder and splitting wedge on my splitter. They have taken care of me on this splitter. They replaced the cylinder and wedge without a fuss. I do not fault them. I fault the cylinder company for making a sub-stander cylinder.

Ethan

Recall

Just wanted to say thanks for the info.
Went and checked the serial# tag it was weathered but from what I see it's ok.
The splitter is working great. I just split some of next years wood but will be looking for more.

Well Brave has made it right. I now have a New cylinder and splitting wedge on my splitter. They have taken care of me on this splitter. They replaced the cylinder and wedge without a fuss. I do not fault them. I fault the cylinder company for making a sub-stander cylinder.
Ethan

Ditto on what Ethan said. When I found mine was a recalled unit, I called. Received my new cylinder via UPS today. I believe they wanted their dealer to replace it but I stated that would be inconvenient for me and they made no fuss about sending me the unit.

I have had nothing but positive experiences with Brave Products, wish I could say the same for MTD and all of their brands.

John

Latest posts

Back