Removing a Willow tree.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breezio

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a fair sized Willow in my backyard I'm going to take down this winter. It's one of the 'curly' willows.
I've seen a few stands in the area selling small bundles of curly willow branches for quite a bit. So I'm going to contact the people that run them and see if I can sell the curly branches from my willow to them.
With the rest of the tree.. I was planning on just chopping it up and using for firewood, unless perhaps somebody else would be able to get a more productive use from the wood.
I do not know how tall it is or it's age, but I figure these pictures I'm attaching should give a good measure.
On the picture of just the trunk, it measures about 3' at the skinniest part just above the flare.
Should I go with my original plan, or would is the wood useable enough that somebody may wish to purchase it from me for other purposes..?

Thanks.

Willow makes poor firewood. It's more likely to rot than survive the drying process. If it does dry, it will take 2 or 3 years to do so.

Good to know, I've been told it's not great for firewood. I wasn't too concerned as I don't burn very much at all.

I didn't know it might rot instead of dry though, that's pretty interesting.

My sister is a florist, and I've noticed that high dollar roses are often shipped with curly willow clippings. You might check with a florist to coincide the cutting with a fancy wedding. That would buy the tree another six months, and you might get decent coin for lush green tips.

Takes a year to three years to season. Has little firewood quality. Burns fast with little heat(when fully seasoned). The only pieces that will rot areif they are in contact with the ground. If you plan on burning stack them in a nice breezy area with adequate space so wind can keep dry.

Thanks, :)

I stack all my wood on pallets (I have a plentiful supply, and often chop them up and burn them).
I have some sort of Fir that was cut down late this summer. I was told it'll take a while to season too, it was rediculasly wet, but atleast we split it all before taking home. I've already burned a few pieces, but I had to use my pallet wood to keep it going. It seems my fireplace can't get hot enough anyway to burn big pieces of wood well without smaller pieces to keep them going, I say this when I was burnning some wood that had been seasond for years and it still took more work then I was expecting to keep going. I had used mostly wood stoves before I bought this house and those I could always just toss a new piece in and let it go.

Why are you removing this tree,cuz it it messy and inconveinent?Causing you work?
To me,that is not reason enough
I suggest you hire a certified Arborist and have it cleaned-up and begin a yearly pruning schedual to gradually bring the tree into the beauty and condition
that was ment to be in.Then you might appreciate it's value as a shade tree to you.

I don't agree with removing a tree out of convienance or less mess either. But that willow isn't exactly a prize. Even if it gets pruned properly it is still a willow. One that has been topped no less. I once heard an architect refer to willows as best for "borrowed scenery" - nice to look at, if they're in your neighbor's yard. Plant at least two replacements that are suitable to your space and your tree karma should be OK, for a little while anyway. Plus, it shan't take too long in Oregon to recoup the shade that you'll lose.

Willows are a PITA, especially around water, they thrive on it, are a pain to keep up on, make a mess. I prefer not having to deal with them. They don't make good firewood, once seasoned it burn less than ideal heat (not hot) and leaves a ton of ash.

Yeah the topping made it sick and ugly but I also think it may be restorable by pruning properly. If you are cutting it down, the curly sticks should be good for something decorative.

sedanman said:
Willow makes poor firewood. It's more likely to rot than survive the drying process. If it does dry, it will take 2 or 3 years to do so.

I don't know how much willow you have burned but my guess is none. I heat my house almost totally with it and have for over 20 years because it is cheap and easily available.

It only takes one year to dry after being split.

It does not rot like you say. I have started the heat season with wood that was piled under my woodshed eave (outside) with all the run-off on it for two years - the only rot showing was on the pieces on the ground.

The only problem with willow as firewood is its light weight - low btu per cu ft. You burn more than you would of a good wood.

Odd fact - all wood has approximately the same btu per pound.

Harry K

We just bought this house a year ago (our first house) and are trying to get the landscape back up (it was in total shambles when we got the house)
This willow is in a terrible spot in the yard and doesn't serve any good purpose for shade (except maybe to shade the shed.. yay...)
We have another willow (smaller and in better shape) on the other side of the yard, that isn't causing any problems with the landscaping, plus three trees along the back fence, a small leaf maple in the front yard along with many arborvities (sp?). So we do have a fair amount of trees for a 1/3 acre lot, and also alot of work to get things back in shape.

I could tell the willow had been trimmed, but was unaware it had been topped..

I appriciate all the input, I've done landscaping, but am still a rookie, especially when it comes to trees.

Every tree in this picture is ours (except the fir in the back) this was taken late in November I beleive. And you can see I still have alot of work to do. :)

seer's right, a proper trimming might make you reconsider. And consider this, a tree does not have to give you direct shade to cool other areas. a ten degree drop over there will swirl and affect over here. And the shed will be cool.

rebelman said:
seer's right, a proper trimming might make you reconsider. And consider this, a tree does not have to give you direct shade to cool other areas. a ten degree drop over there will swirl and affect over here. And the shed will be cool.
True, rebelman, but I don't think shade has as high a value in OR as in our latitudes. Looking at that last pic, if it were my place, I would consider replacing the willow and planting a shade tree in the front/south side of the house.

treeseer said:
True, rebelman, but I don't think shade has as high a value in OR as in our latitudes. Looking at that last pic, if it were my place, I would consider replacing the willow and planting a shade tree in the front/south side of the house.

That is a huge tree (even after topping) for a 1/3 acre lot. A sample of a totally inappropriate tree for planting in suburbia. When I plant a tree out here in the country (2 acres), I try to picture it as it will be in 20 years. Even then I had to remove a Black Walnut (50ft high) this year as I put it in a very poor spot back in 1979/80.

Harry K

Back