Removing and killing buckthorn and poison ivy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zuren

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm developing a game plan for my property now that we are approaching fall. I knew I had poison ivy on my property but I recently discovered the brushy under-story growth is buckthorn. There are a few threads but many are really old. Opinions seem to be a little divided but my plan was to cut everything and treat the stumps with Garlon4 or similar herbicide. I read somewhere that a mixture of Garlon4 and Round-Up is recommended by the Wisconsin Dept. of Natural Resource but never found a recipe. Is Garlon4 (mixed or straight) still a best practice? Some people say to pull it out but others claim that the remaining roots are still viable.

I'm treating the poison ivy with Round-Up Poison Ivy and Brush Killer. Seems to be working in most areas. Other areas will need another dose.

Thanks for any advice!

How big is the buckthorn? If the stems are 1" or bigger in diameter, I like Garlon 4 in an oil carrier (example: http://www.treecaresupplies.com/ME-M-elitepb-Premier-Blue-2-1-2-gal-jug.html ) used as a basal bark spray. You don't need to cut anything, just spray it on the bark.

Certainly cut stump treatment with Garlon 4, Tordon, or Round-up (at 30-40%) would also work. That is probably my order of preference.

I use Brush-B-Gone and diesel for the Buckthorn. Use a hatchet and score the bark in a patch and spray on the open spot. I've had better luck with that method compared to just spraying directly on the bark.

Garlon4 as basal bark works well, as does the chop-and-spray method TonyK described. 25% with a proper oil+surfactant+dye is what I've always used, to good result, and a little goes a surprisingly long way if you put it out at the right time of year.

We cut and remove the entire tree in the parks here in town where we have been chasing the buckthorn for the past few years. In those cases, the trees are cut relatively low and then the stumps are painted with RoundUp, dye, and a surfactant/penetrant. Resprouting is negligible, and what does resprout gets sprayed the next year with Garlon3 as a foliar application. But we have the advantage of flocks of college-age volunteers (usually guys from the frats) to come and help drag brush to a central point for collection.

I did a little research last night. Garlon4 looks to be prohibitively expensive. Anything for sale online is a 2.5 gal. jug for $200+. I also searched for "Brush B Gon" and came back with Ortho MAX Poison Ivy. Is this the same product, just different name?

I already have a bottle of Round-Up Poison Ivy Plus Tough Brush killer: http://www.amazon.com/Roundup-5002310-Poison-Concentrate-32-Ounce/dp/B000IJWUM4

Based on what I'm reading above, a mix of diesel and Round-Up Poison Ivy/Brush (40% Round-Up/60% diesel) sprayed on a chopped area of the tree may be a viable option?

Much of my growth is 1" in diameter or larger.

Thanks!

I am not sure Roundup is labeled to be mixed with an oil carrier/diesel is it? No need to do that if you are not doing basal bark spray (through the bark). You can find smaller containers of triclopyr (the ingredient in Garlon)

Back