Removing extremely overgrown lilacs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garibaldi

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello again,

In an area of our property which we are trying to reclaim after twenty years of neglect, there are 8 meter tall lilacs which are up to 15 cm in diameter. Only the top meter produces leaves. Most of the lilacs are totally bent over by huge pasture roses that engulf the entire hedge. We will cut down the entire hedge to the ground. I assume I will have to use a mattock or similar tool to remove the stumps to ensure that the lilacs and roses do not return. However, I'm hoping that there is an easier way to prevent these plants from regrowing.

Regards,
Garibaldi

Garibaldi said:
ensure that the lilacs and roses do not return. However, I'm hoping that there is an easier way to prevent these plants from regrowing.

What if you could have small, healthy lilacs in that same place, without all that work:chainsaw: of removing those stumps?

Wouldn't that be great?

Well because you are the 50,000th :clap: poster, you can have healthy lilacs absolutely free!

Newbie Puts his Foot in it on Second Post!!!

Dear Mr.(Ms.) Seer,

You are absolutely correct to chastise me in such a fashion; I forgot the first rule of asking for help: I didn't do a search. For that I humbly apologize. In addition I am sorry that I wasted the bandwidth.

Secondly, I apologize for being unclear: We don't want lilacs, small, medium or large; nor do we want pasture roses. I failed to mention that.

For various design reasons, we are removing an eyesore which will be replaced by lawn and much smaller shrubs. Hidden among the existing hedge is a large maple which will be left as a specimen.

Again, apologies to all,

Garibaldi

treeseer said:
What if you could have small, healthy lilacs in that same place, without all that work:chainsaw: of removing those stumps?

Wouldn't that be great?

Well because you are the 50,000th :clap: poster, you can have healthy lilacs absolutely free!

Garibaldi, if you get the rootball out, you should be OK. If you have access to a tractor, or even a come-a-long, tie a strap around the base of the lilac, put some tension on it, and start whacking the roots on the opposite side. Keep adding tension as you cut the roots, and eventually it will pop out of the ground. You can also use a truck, car, mini-van, whatever you are willing to use as an anchor!

As for the Roses, its been a very long time since I have used any selective herbicides. I do believe there is a shrub and brush killer that could take care of the roses. You may be able to mix some Round Up strong enough to take care of them too. I do make this discalimer here and now, its been a LOOOOONG time since I have used chemicals in a prefessional setting, please do your own research before you try applying anything I just mentioned.

Just had ta say this, llilacs are wonderful beautiful plants, I'd give, um, 2 pizzas to have a nice giant tree of them in my yard, they smell good (and make great gifts too btw), bees and other pollinators benefit from them (humming birds love 'em I think), if yer gonna destroy them in that place maybe consider putting some cuttings elsewhere and have smaller controlled ones, the wildlife will be happier if they were still around and so will you if you have fruit trees in the vicinity. Just my thoughts, guess I need a life eh! :D

TreeCo said:
Many times overgrown landscape shrubs can be rejuvenated and even grown smaller and more compact over time. Sometime overgrown landscape plants can be turned into exceptional landscape specimens with the proper care.

That's all I was saying, Gari, no chastisement intended. It's really hard to conceive of anyone not wanting a lilac. But my perspective is going 20 years ago from a climate they like to one they don't, so I miss them.

You can grind them out and plant whatever you like. If you leave big roots in the ground, of lilacs or rose, they will sprout.

Garibaldi said:
Hello again,

In an area of our property which we are trying to reclaim after twenty years of neglect, there are 8 meter tall lilacs which are up to 15 cm in diameter. Only the top meter produces leaves. Most of the lilacs are totally bent over by huge pasture roses that engulf the entire hedge. We will cut down the entire hedge to the ground. I assume I will have to use a mattock or similar tool to remove the stumps to ensure that the lilacs and roses do not return. However, I'm hoping that there is an easier way to prevent these plants from regrowing.

Regards,
Garibaldi
Garibaldi,
i am not familar with metric measurements, if you can post some pic , so we call look at it and give you better advice. however it is best if you contact your local arborist contractor, i'm sure they will help you and work what you wanted to completed project, don't tried do yourself, you asking for pain and headaches. so call arborist, it will save you from whole alot of trouble.. wish you luck
Treeman67

I think it would solve your problem if you would just tie a goat to it.

Treeman67 said:
Garibaldi,
i am not familar with metric measurements, if you can post some pic , so we call look at it and give you better advice. however it is best if you contact your local arborist contractor, i'm sure they will help you and work what you wanted to completed project, don't tried do yourself, you asking for pain and headaches. so call arborist, it will save you from whole alot of trouble.. wish you luck
Treeman67
Sorry. About 25 feet tall and 6 inches in diameter. Most of them are bent horizontal from years of holding up the pasture roses.
Garibaldi

treeseer said:
That's all I was saying, Gari, no chastisement intended. It's really hard to conceive of anyone not wanting a lilac. But my perspective is going 20 years ago from a climate they like to one they don't, so I miss them.

You can grind them out and plant whatever you like. If you leave big roots in the ground, of lilacs or rose, they will sprout.

We moved half a dozen small volunteers to another spot where they're doing well: old-fashioned white and dark blue purple flowers. You're right, they are beautiful plants.

What we're trying to do overall is keep as many of the original trees and shrubs as possible. However, the past two owners (about 20 years worth) didn't take care of the original owner's plantings. Now there is bittersweet choking everything, pasture rose all over, thousands of maple seedlings, and just about every other invasive shrub. Oddly enough, no bamboo. So there's an upside.

Garibaldi

I second the stump grinder idea. You could just drive down the row grinding everything up into a nice pulverized mix of wood chips and fluffy soil. A great planting mix. You might even find one for rent. You want the large self propelled unit, not a hand held thing.
Lilacs, although beautiful plants, are really small trees, and only flower prolifically on wood at least 7 years old. By keeping them small, you sacrifice flowering. Just like with trees, you want the right plant for the location.

Latest posts

Back