Repair for small crack in case

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked up a decent 288 project saw but found an interesting Crack after cleaning the case up.
It does not infiltrate the oil tank but does effect the cap seal. So, what to do... I'm guessing that corner took a hard shot at some point. I don't want to try and bend it back too much that it snaps, duh.

Suggestions?

JB fill the small section between cracks and machine/sand smooth so the cap gasket seals? That might be the simplest fix.
1000001755.jpg1000001754.jpg1000001753.jpg

Drill a small hole at the end of the crack, make a v groove along the rest of it, clean it out really really well to remove oil. jB weld and sand. Then go get the power coat paint matched and give it a light dusting wjth primer followed by the paint and you’ll never know it’s there.

Could try and smear/push some Dirko in there. Clean the surface for the sealing ring afterwards.
Or a tank sealer. Close the cap, plug the hole for the oil line and push some air trough the vent into the tank, so the sealer gets pushed through the cracks. Probably needs a new tank vent afterwards...

Could try and smear/push some Dirko in there. Clean the surface for the sealing ring afterwards.
Or a tank sealer. Close the cap, plug the hole for the oil line and push some air trough the vent into the tank, so the sealer gets pushed through the cracks. Probably needs a new tank vent afterwards...
I don’t think the cracks are into the tank but I haven pressure tested it, so…:p. Project saws…all kinds o fun. 😁

I can’t recall, would the flipup caps from 562xp work? They have a larger/different gasket that may work?

I tried a couple different
I can’t recall, would the flipup caps from 562xp work? They have a larger/different gasket that may work?
I tried several Husky caps I have. This design works on the gasket sealing to the sides rather than the flat. Flat type won't work. The flip caps are another type of design and not compatible with older saws. I'll get some of the other sealing compound suggested

If it’s not leaking significantly I’d leave it be. I’m sure some will disagree, sometimes it’s best to live with a little leak than potentially end up with a bigger problem or be unhappy with the repair.

Back