Review: Jerry beranek arborist training gift set

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewGuyMA

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This is a review of the Jerry Beranek Arborist Training Gift set. This is a 6 DVD set and hardcover book. I purchased it
from one of the AS sponsors for about $175.

First a little background. I am not an arborist, but hope to find one in my area that will take in a greenhorn. I've wanted
to do tree work for quite some time now. Before starting this venture, I thought I would educate my tiny brain a little bit .

I would have to say that this set is great! The presenter, Jerry Beranek, has a long history of tree work and shares with
you all of the knowledge that lurks in his cranium.

Throughout the DVD video sets, he shows you a wide variety of equipment that you might or might not use. He explains what equipment should be used in what situation, gives a demonstration of the equipment, and gives you the pros and cons of their use. I enjoyed his 45-70 line launcher demonstration. The videos are mostly filmed in the tree, so you can see how he does everything from his eyes. There are also ground-based demonstrations and mini-physics lessons that would be too dangerous to demonstrate in the tree.

Later in the DVD series Jerry covers climbing technique, both single and doubled rope, spur and flip line, in great detail and demonstration. After that he moves on to working in the tree. He covers cutting, felling, limbing, topping, and rigging.

Throughout all 6 DVD's, Jerry emphasizes safety and gives you tips based on his experiences working in the field.

Finally, there is the book. The hardcover book that comes with this set contains a summary of what's on the DVDs.

For someone who is just starting out, this set answers a lot of my basic questions and gave a little taste of some of the work that arborists do.

I haven't seen that DVD set, but have two of his books, and a poster (150 ft up and still 6 ' dia) he signed for me at a TCIA Expo some years ago.
GB is the real deal.

I haven't seen that DVD set, but have two of his books, and a poster (150 ft up and still 6 ' dia) he signed for me at a TCIA Expo some years ago.
GB is the real deal.

In the videos he climbs some monster redwoods. One of the redwoods was wider than a Mack truck. He shows a demonstration of someone climbing it with a 8 bazillion ft. long steel core flipline. I got the sense that the climber quickly got tired throwing that line around:msp_biggrin:

I've read a lot of good reviews about that, which sponsor did you buy from? Wesspur has it for 200. They also have a series called " basic training for tree climbers" which they say is designed for training new climbers, and they sell several abormaster training sets. Just thought I'd share what I found. I'm curious how they compare but I'm sure they are all good training.

I've read a lot of good reviews about that, which sponsor did you buy from? Wesspur has it for 200. They also have a series called " basic training for tree climbers" which they say is designed for training new climbers, and they sell several abormaster training sets. Just thought I'd share what I found. I'm curious how they compare but I'm sure they are all good training.

I purchased this one from Bailey's. Jerry has so much knowledge, he has an hour of tips on just the throwline alone.

Are you learning to climb yet? I've seen quite a few posts about guys wanting to become arborists but I don't ever see any follow up. I think it'd be interesting to see that and be able to follow someone as they do.

Are you learning to climb yet? I've seen quite a few posts about guys wanting to become arborists but I don't ever see any follow up. I think it'd be interesting to see that and be able to follow someone as they do.

Not yet. I thought I would at least try to get a minimal amount of education before seeing if I can find an arborist to take me on as an apprentice. If I can't find anyone locally, I might have to go to a climbing school.

Last edited:
Where in MA are you?

I started by trading labor for lessons about 4 years ago. The guy I learned from is an MCA, my boss, and now one of my best friends.

If you're interested in learning to climb or even spending a couple days actually working to see if you hate it hit me up. We service Boston/metro south/south shore mostly but do occasionally go further for specialty jobs.

Where in MA are you?

I started by trading labor for lessons about 4 years ago. The guy I learned from is an MCA, my boss, and now one of my best friends.

If you're interested in learning to climb or even spending a couple days actually working to see if you hate it hit me up. We service Boston/metro south/south shore mostly but do occasionally go further for specialty jobs.

Thanks mcfly. That's very kind of you. I'll PM you with details.

Latest posts

Back