Ripping w 16 5/16 Beam Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I talked a bit about this on another thread, but as I've done a lot more since then thought I'd start a thread about it. I got a big ancient Makita 5402NA four or five years ago for $300 all told that had the original OEM non-carbide type blade, and it was never great at cutting thick hardwood even when resharpened. Often tried to use it on rough warped wood and would bind up easily and smoke on a lot of deep cuts. Sort of accepted it probably was limited to beam cutting being so underpowered for such a huge blade. Hadn't wanted to spring for a $100+ Freud blade I worried would have too much flex. Then I found a very reasonably priced Tenryu 16" carbide tipped blade - $78 - which said it worked well with the Makita so I took a chance on because my last $120 12" Tenryu blade I bought for my table saw was outstanding. Tenryu moved their line of more affordable blades to China production almost 30 years ago, but they still make quality there every bit as good or better than Freud Diablo blades. Trimmed a bunch of 4-6" thick cottonwood/poplar slabs with it, and finally that big saw works like I always wanted it to. Slow to be sure, but so nice and smooth and doesn't bind and bog anymore.

Still thought it might not work so great with real hardwood, but then went through a big stack of 24-28" long, 4.5" thick Arizona ash square-ish blocks with it that I'd let dry badly after milling them last year. Needed to saw a bunch of them in half where they'd warped bad around the pith, and trim the edges of all of them. As bad as the warp was on some, I never bogged down, had it bind up, or popped the breaker once going through all of them. Still has barely seemed to dull at all yet. There are more efficient ways to make beams and lumber, but if you have no bandsaw mill, and work on the cheap like me chainsaw milling and don't want to waste a ton of wood with the thick kerf of chainsaw milling your slabs to dimensional lumber, or just to neatly trim mantels and the occasional big beam, it's a pretty good tool to have with the right blade if you can pick an old one up cheap. Way better results than any of those beamcutter attachments for circular saws. The Makita is an awkward huge beast to handle but fairly indestructible. The Sawsquatch 16 5/16 seems more ergonomic and better value new. With the old blade I had come to doubt it had been worth buying and thought I should have gotten a 10 1/4 saw in the first place - I eventually got one - which could do nearly 4" cuts. But I have my 10 1/4" Bigfoot in a universal track saw setup that limits its max depth to 2 7/8", so I needed a way of trimming more than 3" deep slabs and didn't feel like getting another 10 1/4 saw just for 3-4" thick slabs. Now I've got something to rip things 3-6" deep and happy with how it works.

Don't have a router sled flattening table at the moment as I dismantled my old shoddy one, so have had good luck flattening one side of everything roughly by hand with my 3 1/4 power planer, and running everything up to 15 3/4 wide through my regular planer to a super smooth finish. Have a woodworker buddy up in Austin w a 25" Woodmaster I'll trade some excess wood to and flatten a lot of my 15-25" slabs there one of these days. My eventual ideal as much as creating a router flattening table is to make a chainsaw leveling table that I can rig up the Alaskan mill to run on like a bridge saw. Far quicker leveling than with a router and pretty clean finish with lo pro chain.

cottonwoodslabs.jpegtenryu16.jpeg

While my son was home last fall we finally built the picnic table from the oak that they had a tree fort in as kids. We cut every board on this table from slabs that we milled 3 years ago with an old as me Craftsman circular saw and a chunk of angle iron for a straight edge. It wouldn't win any awards, but that's on the carpenter more so than the tree 😉

20230917_190609.jpg20230917_190553.jpg

While my son was home last fall we finally built the picnic table from the oak that they had a tree fort in as kids.
Love it. Looks great. Always great to repurpose things like that with quality wood, and use the simple tools you have to do it. I turned my brother's old playset for his kids into a canoe/kayak rack for my parents 15 years ago and it's still holding up well. I've become really sold on what I guess is called the "dead wood" concept, of doing much of my work with circular saws and guides or tracks rather than try to push unwieldly slabs through table saws. I can do pretty much glue ready straight cuts with my 7 1/4 and 10 1/4 universal track saw setups and about 9' of track, without some crazy expensive Festool setup. Got a 7 1/4 DeWalt with a universal track base and EZSmart 6' track and a DeWalt biscuit jointer all for only $85 off a guy a few years ago. Added 3' more of track from EZSmart for another $35 before they went out of business. Bought an old BigFoot 10 1/4 for $100 off a lady around here a couple years ago. Really wanted to run it on the EZSmart track but they were out of business and no bases available for the 10 1/4 anymore. I took a chance on a universal track base from China for $59 all told that seemed like it could hold the BigFoot but while the track looked similar to EZSmart's, I doubted it would be the same and it would have slop in it or not fit. But it was a MORE perfect fit for the EZSmart track than the universal bases that EZSmart had sold, and better made! Running against a straight edge guide works well as long as your saw blade is true and the board is dead straight but I rarely have had both be the case in the past, and kept binding up cuts, so got way more into using a track.

This post has my interest. I would love to see some pictures of the equipment in use. Do you prefer green or dry? Bark on or off?

This post has my interest. I would love to see some pictures of the equipment in use. Do you prefer green or dry? Bark on or off?
I don't tend to do any circular sawing til the slabs are fairly dry. I mill trees with the bark on most of the time, unless it's loose enough to peel off easily. Still haven't invested in a debarker yet though I'd like one. I tried doing some trimming with my larger circular saws while the cottonwood was still green and the sawdust was so wet it clogged the teeth.

Latest posts

Back