Roll Off Dumpsters ... Anybody use them for disposal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teamtree

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
We are working a large job in Indianapolis and rather than take six loads of wood through busy city streets...I am considering using a 40yd dumpster to place the blocks into and have them haul it off.

Any thoughts?

I of course would prefer that you buy a self loading grapple truck, but the dumpster thing does sound like a pretty good idea.
How are you going to get the stuff over to the dumpsters is my question? You have to be careful in a city setting if you're going to use some sort of wheel loader or bobcat. You'll be facing hefty replacement fines if you break curbs driving over them.

Dumpster

We thought about the crane and we thought about a log truck. There are six Ash trees and they have about 12-16 9 foot logs in them. Hardly enough for a logger to have any interest. Say 16 logs at 200 board feet is 3200 board feet at .50 a board foot is about $1600. I doubt if a log outfit would come get them.

If we haul them off it would take at least 12 trips at 1 hour a trip will cost us about $1,600, plus the cost of disposal.

We are giving the firewood to a local supplier.

Trying to figure out the cost.

Thanks!

I work out of southeastern Wisconsin. There is a place where I rent bucket trucks from when I need them. My last big Willow job we rented a log hauler. A 40 yard dumpster would have cost me $370.00, the truck was $400.00 plus fuel. It had a 20 yard box on it. It took 2 loads to haul away and I had to have the dump site. It was worth it to me.

dumpster use

Look around for an outfit that grinds trees for mulch. They may send dumpsters out to pick up wood like one outfit here does. Costs about the same as sending a load to the dump. Things to watch out for if you're near the street. Idiots drive by and throw their trash in the box looking for free disposal. Where you place the box. Soft asphalt in the hot summer sun and the box sinks into the street/ driveway. Oops. Calculate the weight of the load so the dumpster isn't too heavy for pickup when it's loaded. Have an empty garbage can on site for the guys to throw their cans, water bottles and lunch wrappings in instead of throwing them in the dumpster with the wood. Put cones out so someone doesn't drive into the dumpster if it's on the street. If you do hire a dumpster and you want the wood delivered to a different site ask the outfit if they do that before you hire them. Get their price and time limit on how long they will leave it before hand. Dumpsters work but plan ahead when you use them so you don't have problems later like someone parking their car next to it just before the truck comes to pick it up and the driver is delayed while you find the cars owner and get him to move the car. Have someone there when the dumpster is delivered so it is placed in the right spot and someone there when it's picked up to see that it goes smooth as possible. The dumpster is quieter than the chipper. The guys with the tub grinder want logs and limbs, not a dumpster full of chips or mixxed with trash.

nyc

teamtree said:
We are working a large job in Indianapolis and rather than take six loads of wood through busy city streets...I am considering using a 40yd dumpster to place the blocks into and have them haul it off.

Any thoughts?
good idea we use them alot in a town called new york but we pay like 950.00 for a 30yd at those prices and the times we use them, they will wait for us to fill them. parking is hard even with police blessing. here we really need a guy to watch the zones.

A good option to have, dumpsters! Just make sure that the guy loading & unloading it from the truck places some plywood under its wheels so it doesn't gouge (scrape) up the driveway or road surface. Last year I replaced the roof on my shop and hired a dumpster for the old shingles. All worked out fine till they hauled the now loaded dumpster away. The guy forgot to place some plywood under the dumpsters wheels and now I have some nice gouges/scrapes in my asphalt driveway! Myself, I wasn't to upset because I'm re-surfacing the driveway this year but others may not be so forgiving!!! Good luck to ya. HC

Using a local dumpster rental place is a great option especially for the environment because they will dispose of the debris effectively. A great option to use if your in Terre Haute is CT Disposal they have great pricing. Hope this helps.

Eh. Maybe he just likes their service. Given that this thread is over 15 years old, it does seem likely that an attempt is being made to advertise a business. Is ok, the improperly posted link has been removed.

Use the report feature gentlemen! Calling out a troll accomplishes nothing, especially when you quote their advertising.

Latest posts

Back