Roots under driveway

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattBanchero

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I’ve been asked about a redwood tree with large surface roots that are lifting up a driveway. The roots are large and too close to the trunk to cut. Any one have experience using Geocells as a base for repouring the driveway over the roots? Any suggestions on the aggregate material to fill the cells? I’ve read something about using a noncompactable material.

Attachments

• IMG_4011.png
    IMG_4011.png
    915.3 KB · Views: 0
I'd suggest a paver driveway. Paver installations are flexible and last much longer than concrete or asphalt. You can even incorporate some of the newer permeable designs that let water through, and your redwood will appreciate it.

Here is the deal: no matter what kind of concrete or asphalt you put over those roots, it will not be flexible, and the tree is assuredly going to grow. If you install a segmented pavement of some sort, it will be relatively expensive, but down the line it will be cheaper because you can lift all the bricks in any problem area, re-grade around the roots as they grow, and then set the pavers back into position. Conversely, your new concrete is doomed to break eventually as the tree's roots continue to grow in diameter.

In some areas, you will also be getting taxed for each square foot of "impermeable surface" of roof, patio, shed, or driveway. A properly approved permeable paver installation will outlast your concrete, it will help keep the tree healthy, and might even pay for itself in stormwater runoff fees.

Installation costs are typically about 5 times (or more) higher than for concrete flatwork, though. If you do it yourself, you can have a fantastic looking driveway without much trouble. If money is a factor, just cut out the broken concrete and replace with pavers.

Latest posts

Back