ROTTEN LUCK! lost new dual port screen?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

460magnum

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
You guys think it will make a difference in the tune of the saw? We went out to cut firewood this weekend as usual, after truck load #6 I noticed the brand new screen was gone from the new dual port cover on my 460mag. I did notice after a tank or two of gas the saw seemed to "wake up" more. This is a great mod and I am very happy with it other than losing the new screen. Do I need to get another one and would any of you have a part number for said screen?:dizzy:

:givebeer:

You may need it if cutting in national or state land, I believe - but the saw is likely to perform a tad better without.

You may also have to readjust the carb, when it is gone.

I did notice when I first got it and did a dry run that it had the 4stroke bobble at the end of the revv. I did NOT notice it at the end of the day. It did seem to run a lot better on those last few cuts. Wish I had to cut more. Should I turn the H screw at full throttle until I get that bobble back or just take it down to the dealer again? I HIGHLY doubt I will EVER be cutting in a national forest so I am not worried about having that screen I just don't want to damage my saw..:cry: Just a seasonal firewood getter. And occasional seller.:cheers:

I'd put the screen back just to keep crap out of the muffler/cylinder..... it's not materially affecting your cutting performance. Do you have mud wasps, mud dubbers or whever you call them out there? Do you ever leave the saw in tha back of a pictup then do down the freeeway at 60...?

Negative on the 60mph on the freeway at least not loaded:hmm3grin2orange:

I am going back to the area I lost it at with the metal detector. Hopefully it didn't come off in the log pile and it came off where I drug the trees up tot he top of the hill and started bucking. I ordered one from the dealer but it only has one screw hole. I think mine had two, I didn't have it long enough to look at it good:cry: If I can't find the original I will just take the cover off and mark the holes on the one I just ordered and drill it. For some reason when they pulled up the cover it only gave Australlia and Canadian recommendations for the screen and bracket?:angry2:

I'd check to make sure no part of the screen or screw made it's way into the muffler. If it's in there it will make it's way into the cylinder. Sounds like your fine but it only takes a minute to check and be sure. ;)

As for the screen, I run mine without but my saws always ride in the back of the Expedition or it the trunk of the car out of the wind and no chance for crap to blow into the cylinder.

In your case (with the dual port cover) I would run it with the screen, however I would open up the stock hole and run it with a screen to.

What you found when the screen fell out is what I was telling you before. That the dual port cover will get you a lot of the gain that a muffler mod has to offer but not all. In order to get the most out of it you still need to open up the stock pencil hole. When the screen fell out you got basically 40% more air flow...... made a difference didn't it?? Open up that stock hole and it could run like that all the time. :D

Just my .02
:cheers:

I would love to open that stock hole. I am very afraid of doing irreversible damage to the saw I would never be able to get another one and it would take me forever to gather the cash to get it fixed. I can't imagine WHY with the economy the way it's been!:deadhorse: :dizzy:

Back