Round Up?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Use to use Paraquat on my uncle's farm when I was a kid,(early 1980's), no protective gear at all. I still have a facial twitch and my hands shake a little, but man, that stuff knocked down everything indiscriminately..like the the ground was sterilized.

Yup, it was in the late 70's when I used it. No PPE, after doing it once I told the guy I was working for no more for me and one of the other guys did it after that. One of the areas we use it was a drainage ditch. A river was 1/4 mile away and all the trees along it were dead.:eek:

The place where I can still get it, the guy said, "that stuff causes nerve damage". Well, I don't need it that bad. BTW the stuff the railroad and power companies use seems pretty potent. I am not sure what it is, Garlon maybe? (Triclopyr)
Another thing we used was lead tri-arsenate.:eek::eek:

Just bought this today. 2.5 gallons. My cost $46.60. Should make a little over 200 gallons the way i mix it.20140826_120143.jpg

I didn't know Paraquat was still on the market. About 35 years ago a guy I knew had some in a glass jug of all things and in his basement. He dropped the jug and it broke. He was trying to clean it up with rags, inhaled a bunch of the fumes and died about 10 days later, fried his lungs. Bad stuff.

A couple years ago I went to a veteran farm chemical dealer to ask advice on a few herbicides. He said follow the directions because if too much is used the top of the plant will be killed before it has time to be drawn down to the roots so the end result will be less effective when the weed returns from the living roots.

Use to use Paraquat on my uncle's farm when I was a kid,(early 1980's), no protective gear at all. I still have a facial twitch and my hands shake a little, but man, that stuff knocked down everything indiscriminately..like the the ground was sterilized.
I guess that explains your avatar. LOL

I was licensed for years and did lots of lawn spraying. They made it illegal here for a licensed applicator to apply the product however home owners are allowed to do it. We do have areas where no chemicals at all are allowed, those are usually pretty weedy places.

Ya' know??
The same laws and regulations that make "violating label directions" of RoundUp "irresponsible"(?) and illegal apply to any chemical... including household cleaners and petroleum products. Yet, I don't see the "irresponsible" label being flung-out when someone suggests adding a bit extra oil to the two-stroke premix. The double-standard and selective labeling are flat hilarious... and sad at the same time. It's the subjective, rather than the objective, that gets me going here... and gives me the openings I pounce on.

And then I'm the one that gets told to, "Get over yourself." Well I got news for ya'... I'm not the one doing the judging... I'm not the one needing to "get over" them self.

By-the-way, modifying the muffler or carburetor on your chainsaw falls flat dead in the same category. Why is that cheered on in this forum?? Why ain't that labeled irresponsible??

A sad subjective double-standard... sad...
:clap::clap: they like to pick and choose........

Oh, I thought you were on the Ohio River. I live in Dubois county, 70 miles west of Louisville, 50 miles east of Evansville, near Jasper. I'm mostly lost in your part of the state.

Oh, I thought you were on the Ohio River. I live in Dubois county, 70 miles west of Louisville, 50 miles east of Evansville, near Jasper. I'm mostly lost in your part of the state.
The Ole slow and muddy is a small river I fish some which runs thru Rush county, the Flatrock river. Yeah, you're way down there, I used to fish quite a bit, kind of north?? of you some, south of Terre Haute. Shakamak, the state park/strip mines. you're wayyy south west of me. Nice country you're in down there.

Back