Royal Paulownia (was this a good choice)??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suaf

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I had placed two tiny seedlings of Royal Saphire Paulownias along the parkway of my home early this past Spring. Each was no more than 2-3 inches. As advertised, the trees grew phenomenally fast...the taller of the 2 is now about 13 feet. This happened in 1 growing season. I am amazed. The seller says the trees are non invasive and grow to a mature height of about 35 feet. I live just north of Chicago, so we have some pretty harsh Winters. The seller also said this tree will thrive in all US environments. I am anxious to see if they will survive the Winter. If so they were a great investment. Any suggestions on what to do to help them make it through their first Winter. Soon I will heavily mulch with a fine pine mulch around them (after first frost). Any other suggestions?? Does any one know of Paulownias that thrive in a northern Midwest climate? Thanks!

I love paulownias; there are some huge old ones at the bloedel reserve in WA,

why wait on the mulch? see link below for care tips

I thought trees that grew that fast would be very weak. Is this not the case with Paulownias?

I'm in climate zone 5. I'm not too concerned about the root system. They are parkway trees so they shouldn't really do any damage. Plus, I have read the roots of Paulownias grow downward much more than many other deciduous trees so they don't spread as far. I was more concerned with the spreading of seeds and new Paulownias sprouting all over the neighbor's lawns. I'm hoping that is not the case with the Saphire species.

A good choice? Not in my opinion. Weak wooded, subject to die back in colder climates and slightly invasive. Besides that it looks like a weed. It is good for sale to people who like to carve.

I will say that the 13 feet of growth this year makes it appear to look like a giant sunflower with elephant ear sized leaves. I'm hoping when it starts branching next year, it looks less "weeddy." That is if it makes it through the winter here!

Thanks for the feedback. I guess we'll wait and see what Winter does to them. They appear to have a spectacular flower show at maturity, so I'm not convinced of them being a weed tree quite yet.

tree seer not invasive ???? and i though i new it all jus kiddin my head city arborist says they are extremly invasive form the looks of my city they are ....dark

darkstar said:
tree seer not invasive ????
Never said they weren't, but they are less invasive than ailanthus. paulownia's seeds will sprout if they land on bare ground but so will many others'. Invasiveness and "weakwoodedness" are often a state of mind.

In our ice storms oaks fall apart but paulownias didn't. should we call oaks weakwooded?

Back