RPMs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rupedoggy

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I hope I can make it to the Clearwater Revival. I want to bring my tachometer and see an honest to goodness 18,000 rpm saw. I have built lots of high performance saws and IMHO anything over 15,500 is in danger of immediate self destruction. The bigger the displacement, the less likely it is to hit these high rpms and stay together. I know WG and JW say they have seen it but I think they are full of what comes out of the south end of a north bound bull. If they did see it, that was probably was just a flash reading, and notice nobody has claimed that the saw was cutting at that speed. The cutting speed is what makes for fast cuts, as long as there is torque to carry it. If the flywheel came apart at that speed it could kill as fast as a hand grenade. My two cents. Mike

I have sent saws to 16.5K no load and have also heard of more rpms. But as KD said you have carry the torque with it. My 088 is 14k (used to be higher) but I still have to move my power band around with my pipe/pipes and jetting depending on what diameter wood I am cutting.

The 14k comes from my double ender-setup
Now there are several saws out there (084) that are nitrous or fuelers like madsens and they do screem, but cant carry the load through large wood and when they have to stay in the pipe for more than about 5 or 6 seconds they give up the ghost.

True saw/engine builders will put you in the class of race you are shooting for. ie: 8x8 timbers cut way different than 20" pine and revs are not the answer in every case but is if you can carry them through the cut.........SPEED KILLS.....

Clearwater contestants, you better lace up your boots real tight, cuz your about to blown right out of them !!!

:angry:

Yup, the predator is alive and well. Busy working out all the crap to make this thing work right ie: Drive, shafts, bearings etc.
I am still waiting for my valve covers and a few other misc parts.

I'll get some new pics posted soon.

Latest posts

Back