rusty chain and bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jordan28

Reaction score
i let my saw sit for a while and now the chain is rusted to the bar, WD-40 does no good, any other suggestions. will i need a new chain and bar, if so would you tell me how to remove both. the saw is a stihl 015 L

You'll probably need a new chain and bar. Look for nuts on the side of the saw.

And watch out for nuts on this forum offering you $20 for the saw. ;)

thanks mark

thanks Mark, after posting this and doing some research, i had a feeling a (somewhat) working saw that old may be worth more than $20

jordan28 said:
i let my saw sit for a while and now the chain is rusted to the bar, WD-40 does no good, any other suggestions. will i need a new chain and bar, if so would you tell me how to remove both. the saw is a stihl 015 L

Welcome fellow Mountaineer! How long did you let the WD 40 soak? Maybe try a longer duration. You might even try to warm it up with heatgun - carefully!!! Don't get it so hot that the oil smokes.

Yes, you will probably wind up getting a new bar and chain, but that's only the beginning. If you continue to watch and post on this site you will develop an urge to collect as many chainsaws as possible. There are many chainsaw junkies here and they will try anything to get another one. If I hadn't just bought another one I'd offer you $35. :hmm3grin2orange:

The chain is ruined. The bar can be saved. Take both of them off and buy a stiff wire brush and scrub the bar VERY VERY HARD (get the small crack that the chain runs in) . Oil the crap out of the bar and put your NEW chain on it, and have fun.

Jordan28,

Welcome to AS.

Chain is definitely shot - and although the bar could probably be salvaged, if a replacement is not too costly then I would just replace both...

Just my 2 cents...

Back