Safety first, somebody told me that!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Safety Checker

Reaction score
Lots of information on this site. Very well organized.

As the name implies, I'm looking to check on some safety for grinders and then a comparison of some of the smaller-types. Can anybody help me out with how these machines are regulated? Is there an OSHA component, like there is with industrial machinery? Also, any organization that keeps track of injuries while operating a grinder? Anybody recomend a certain brand over others for safety reasons? Thanks for any and all responses.

Still being determined. Not nearly like the guy trapped in the house by the falling tree that I read on here. Yikes!

Guy has severe leg laceration, in hospital possibly needing skin graft. He's going to be laid up for a while. Still gathering information. Any help for this guy would be greatly appreciated. Determined that was using a Vermeer SC 252. Guy working for a friend in a small business, too small for workers' comp. Don't think he ever got the proper training. Also this guy is young, is there a certain minimum age requirement required to operate these machines?

Oh, stump grinders. On your first post all I could think of was a chain grinder (for sharpening chains).

Any legalese type safety info would be at Vermeer's website or through a Vermeer dealer.

You might also want to read this thread by one of our long time members and see what he's gone through. There is some good discussion about how a combination of two people screwing up resulted in a tragic accident.
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=23463

Safety Checker said:
Lots of information on this site. Very well organized.

As the name implies, I'm looking to check on some safety for grinders and then a comparison of some of the smaller-types. Can anybody help me out with how these machines are regulated? Is there an OSHA component, like there is with industrial machinery? Also, any organization that keeps track of injuries while operating a grinder? Anybody recomend a certain brand over others for safety reasons? Thanks for any and all responses.

I would start with 29 CFR 1910.266 (4) (i-iv) OSHA, ANZI Z133.1 Revision October 2000, 9.6 Brush Removal and Chipping. I would also use the manufacturer's requirements in the operator's manual. I hope your friend is doing well.

CORRECTION: OSHA 1910.269 (r) Line Clearance Operations (4) Stump Cutters, (i)(ii) and still looking in ANSI....sorry for the chipper info...

ANSI Z133.1 Revision Oct. 2000 Annex B , B.4 Safety Equipemnt, B.4.1 Mobile Equipment and Aerial Lifts
I again apologize for the earlier reference, hopefully this will get you started in the correct direction.

Last edited:
eagle23 said:
I would start with 29 CFR 1910.266 (4) (i-iv) OSHA, ANZI Z133.1 Revision October 2000, 9.6 Brush Removal and Chipping. I would also use the manufacturer's requirements in the operator's manual. I hope your friend is doing well.
oooops ANSI.......

Safety Checker said:
Still being determined. Not nearly like the guy trapped in the house by the falling tree that I read on here. Yikes!

Guy has severe leg laceration, in hospital possibly needing skin graft. He's going to be laid up for a while. Still gathering information. Any help for this guy would be greatly appreciated. Determined that was using a Vermeer SC 252. Guy working for a friend in a small business, too small for workers' comp. Don't think he ever got the proper training. Also this guy is young, is there a certain minimum age requirement required to operate these machines?

I see you are from Florida. No company that is operating a stump grinder is to small for workmans comp. The owner of the company is liable for the cost of recovery if he is not carrying workmans comp. Check this thread out.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?p=363703#post363703

Also, yes there is an age requirement in Florida, it is 18.

Skwerl, thanks for the link to the other thread. I missed that earlier. Nice picture by the way.

Eagle, thanks for the help.

I have found out further info. I've been getting this info 2nd hand as an assignment. Guy did have to undergo the skin graft but is back to walking now. Thank goodness, looks like a good recovery.

After doing some more digging, it looks like the issue comes down to why some products have an automatic shut off when the clutch is released and other are not designed this way. Also, I have looked at the vermeer informatin as suggested. They advertise their clutch brake but from my reading in the Tree Machine's thread that does not work effectively. There is a period of "free wheeling" in which the blade still spins. Can somebody correct me here if I'm wrong.

If I'm not mistaken, the equipment operator in Jim's case never disengaged the cutter wheel. The wheel was still being powered by the engine. This was gross operator error combined with a tragic error in judgement by Jim in getting too close to the machine while it was still engaged. Like I said earlier, two people both doing something stupid resulted in an injury. Why are some people so opposed to the idea of personal responsibility? Why is it always somebody else's fault when you screw up? No wonder a stinking air filter holder cap costs $85! By the time you are finished, my parts costs will go up another 15%.

Safety Checker,
I researched this issue today and have found very little other than posted above. I went to www.cicacenter.org and they make reference to Florida being one of the 26 states that are fully under Federal OSHA. This link sent me to www.usfsafetyflorida.com for more info.Just for kicks I went to California's OSHA site and found they had very little on the subject. Calf. Code of Regs, Title 8 , Section 3445 "Choppers". This is very similiar to the 1910.147 OSHA Regs, but the state does indentify grinders in the family of chippers and so forth. Good luck!

skwerl said:
If I'm not mistaken, the equipment operator in Jim's case never disengaged the cutter wheel. The wheel was still being powered by the engine. This was gross operator error combined with a tragic error in judgement by Jim in getting too close to the machine while it was still engaged. Like I said earlier, two people both doing something stupid resulted in an injury. Why are some people so opposed to the idea of personal responsibility? Why is it always somebody else's fault when you screw up? No wonder a stinking air filter holder cap costs $85! By the time you are finished, my parts costs will go up another 15%.

AMEN TO THAT!!!

only vermeer's newest grinders have the clutch brake system. Older grinders would just free wheel forever unless you drop them down to the dirt.

Back