sanding mops, wheel of pain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tribalwind

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
had this in another reply but didnt want to hijack:)

here's a small commission im working on now, not finished yet,gotta add soem carving,sanding and leather wrap binding. did ya see "conan the barbarian"? this was his pendant, the "wheel of pain" which was that big thing he was forced to push around as a child slave. (it was later made out to be a grain grinder)
i've got a zilion dremel bits but none that'll sand nicely in these tight spaces,
so i searched n searched, and i found stockroom supplies http://www.stockroomsupply.com/
they have "mini mops" for dremels,fordehams etc, hoping they'll do the trick!
i ordered a 4",6" and both size mini mops, so yea went a lil overboard heh, but got the free shipping ;)
the drum-sanding kit looks real tempting as well..i bet i can fabricate that one but how much would i really save myself ? $ x aggravation...

this is the cast metal 1 available online.
tins_1872_13341423.jpg

this is my macasar-ebony version,so the guys friend has less problems at airports(literally the reason hes gifting it!)
wheelofpainnecklace.jpg

How large is that ebony wheel?... can't get a size reference with nothing else in the pic. Looks like lots of painstaking detail work. I guess you have the patience for that. Nice work... interesting.

yep i meant to chuck a quarter down next to it and forgot.

it's 2.5" from the furthest tips.
not the kinda work i normally do. & i much prefer doing things bit bigger. i almost feel guilty charging what i need to for such a tiny thing.just so time consuming.
seemed an interesting challenge so i went for it'
hope the mop thing will smooth it out nicely.

dustytools said:
Nice looking items. What are they made from and how do you go about doing it?

thanks dusty
the descript is on the pics :D
top is metal,not me
bottom is ebony that i made on scrollsaw then rounded over by hand with dremel cutterbits,diamond bits etc..still workin at it'

I went back and re-read. I can see where this would take a lot of time. You sure must have a lot of patience. Good looking job.

Carefull..

I have the used the sanding mops from Stockroom for about 8 years now. For years I had a little drill press dedicated to them until the chuck wouldn't stay on it anymore.

You have to be careful with how you set them up so you don't loose the detail. on what you are working on. There is a bit of a knack to them.

Speed, grit and spacing between the layers is important in how you set them up. I first saw them when he was demoing them at the Toronto woodworking show.

Also space out the layers using rubber washers to get a less aggressive grit. They take some experimenting.

I use them a lot on mouldings to give them the final clean up and really like them .

Oh yeah and pass on the drum sanding kit. I have seen them and they are very light duty with no adjustment for how much gets taken off and you are relying on consistent manual speed to get an even finish.

Latest posts

Back