Saving A Dying Elm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PinkFloydEffect

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So this lady we do yard work for has this Elm in her backyard that I have been staring down for years now every time we mulch in the spring, I know its gasping for air. I tell her every year what needs to be done but she never shows any concern until this year since half the tree is dying off...I sure hope it's not DED because I am about to do a lot of work to it...
IMG_3724_zps67869b0b.jpg

IMG_3721_zps3c664513.jpg

The root flare is choked; volcano mulched for decades which has promoted all kinds of girdlers and secondary flaring, there is also a layer of plastic around one side to prevent weed growth through the mulch:
IMG_3855_zps4ef666bb.jpg

IMG_3866_zps13c7e6d5.jpg

The plan is to go down at least twice as far as where I left off, then increase the diameter of the mulch ring. All kinds of roots need to be removed from the surface (all small roots) then there are a few large girdlers that I need to decipher if they have successfully grafted or if they will do harm. When all that is said and done I can look at balancing the canopy or as I call it "resetting" it to grow symmetrically.

Be careful ... when it dies from DED she'll blame you. :jester:

I know :msp_rolleyes: luckily she is a very close family friend and I have other profiles from trees I have done this procedure on with amazing results to back myself up....but that chance is always there. I am going to make sure she keeps it hydrated for the rest of the summer and I may apply some Imidacloprid in the early spring for leaf pests that might stress it next year, I'm not sure if Imidacloprid will kill a DED beetle or not?

I removed a bunch of roots with a chisel, more dirt and rocks, its looking great I hope it pulls through. I have done this on other trees and they always respond positively...one more afternoon and it should be level, she is going to allow it to breath until next year before we apply mulch.

IMG_3866_zps13c7e6d5.jpg

IMG_3870_zpse7824cee.jpg

Last edited:
Back