seeking advise: theft prevention of log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thieves in my area have nothing to offer an employer even if they would work which they won,t.after 20 years of living here i have watched the offspring grow up to be just like there parents. the law is no help since they have no fear of arrest or prosucution. the first time i seen some thugs caseing my **** i loaded my sks and put 11 rounds in the woodline. seems i have a rep for being a little crazy now.so far have never been ripped off. wouldnt hurt a fly here but they dont know it. (this may not be legal in your area)

When marking your equipment, however you do it, put something in a prominent spot so it can be seen. Then add something hidden away someplace. Theif can remove, grind off, torch off whatever the obvious one and not look further.

Just putting something in a hidden spot doesn't accomplish much as the buyer has no clue. Does help in proving it is yours _after_ recovery though.

For entry into the stolen equipment files you need two unique identifiers. Brand/ser No are good. An owner applied number OAN (your DR Lic for example) and serial number (yes you can apply you own serial number to a homebuilt), etc.

Harry K

Harry K

When marking your equipment, however you do it, put something in a prominent spot so it can be seen. Then add something hidden away someplace. Theif can remove, grind off, torch off whatever the obvious one and not look further.

Just putting something in a hidden spot doesn't accomplish much as the buyer has no clue. Does help in proving it is yours _after_ recovery though.

For entry into the stolen equipment files you need two unique identifiers. Brand/ser No are good. An owner applied number OAN (your DR Lic for example) and serial number (yes you can apply you own serial number to a homebuilt), etc.

Harry K

I prefer the holly crap this things heavy approach along with a flat tire on the side.:popcorn:

Cityevader,
If you want to park your splitter in the same place, I would pour a concrete pier, like the ones they use under decks. You can go anywhere from 6" to 12" in diameter, based upon the sona tube you are using. Before the concrete sets up, insert a monster eyebolt about 10" long. Now you have a low-key secure point to chain and lock your splitter to.

Deterrent is your best bet

Dig a hole 3-4 foot deep drop a 6” pipe with a T on the end fill hole with concrete.

Drop a 2” bar into the pipe with a couple inches above the pipe fill with concrete

Weld the biggest hardened chain you can get to the bar get the biggest pad lock you can find

Wrap chain around axle set the lock

This lock is HUGE, weighs over 2 pounds. Largest padlock Medeco makes.4" H x 2 1/2" WShackle is right at 1/2" in diameter, One of the most secure padlocks available.
citywidesecurity_2013_879910

Last edited:
Nothing's foolproof, but first thing I tell all of my customers to do is to take the the hitch off the splitter. Two bolts and it's off. It's a lot harder to steal a splitter when you can't just hook it up and tow it away.

I second that ! With a big lock and a big chain !If you dont plan on moving it much take the tires off !

Last edited:
I second that ! With a big lock and a big chain !If you dont plan on moving it much take the tires off !

Wish I could easily take the wheels off, but this other-country-assembled splitter has the wheel bearing races barely tack welded into the rims... I belive the sticker that says not to tow above 45mph!!! Scary!!!
No hub and no lug nuts to easily remove, only sticky slimy wheel bearing removal on spindles that are so horribly machined that it's amazing I even got the bearings on in the first place, so I'll never attempt removal! There isn't even much room to drill a hole for chain to go through each rim to chain it to itself.

Perhaps I'll use the 8-inch bit on the ebay-one-person-post-hole-auger that I only used maybe 20 times and make a 30" deep hole and fill with Quickcrete with a large J-bolt/eyelet at ground level to chain it to.

My primeval-self is drooling over some sort of trip-wire, bacteria-laden-fecal-matter-spread-bamboo stakes that lash out on the slower thieves not taken out with the revolver lashed to the previous trip-wired-fence post they just passed.

My trailers when I was in Ohio were chained to a steel beam embedded in high strength concrete. I dug a hole about 18 inches wide and almost 4 feet deep. I dropped the beam in the filled it in with concrete. Over six years it stopped numerous thefts.

Latest posts

Back