sequoiadendron giganteum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ok2climb

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Sorry squirrel, 1 too many beers and not enough time behind the keyboard.
My apologies to all. The tree in my crappy photos is a 7yr old plug a giant sequoia bought from muir woods and planted in upstate ny at folks house.
its been doing ok untill this summer, more brown spots, considerable die back compared to last year. root flare is visable, not planted too deep. watered sparingly this summer(good rainfall) 20 ft off of road(salt is mixed with ash in winter) hard winter in 02, new h2o line dug 2 weeks prior to pics.(10 ft off base) i am not familiar with species and would appreciate anyone who is to throw ideas my way. told folks to obtain soil sample and contact local arboretum for help. tree worth saving at all costs. any help besides bullwinkles sidekick?

Last edited:
If the top of the tree (which is not in the photo) is comparable to what the middle of the tree appears like, it looks like its on track to a healthy life.

Have you seen how much, and how big the foliage pieces are that fall off before?

University of Portland, and Columbia Edgewater Country Club out here, both had those trees, up to about 44 feet tall.

Each year, we would remove up to a 4" to 8" layer of old foliage off the ground. Probably 2 pickup loads off some of the wider trees.

Needle persistence is based on age of foliage. so there will be a larger proportion of old foliage on the lower branches which are the oldest.

So the lower area should discolor the most in the lower interior.

In Oregon, there are no conifers that shed anything like a Sequoiadendron - the only thing close is the Dawn Redwood. And it doesn't even make as thick a mat on the ground even though it looses all its needles and rachis parts.

Hope that's what you have going on.

Have seen the same thing on the specimen at the school... much larger, older... don't know much, have always ment to do some digging...

All I know is that every year healthy portions die back, almost as if under borer type insect attack, generally ends at about 1 inch wood, kills everything beyond.

Seems to have happened to this particular specimen for years, located in Niagara Falls, a long way form it's home land, it and it's young friend planted nearby are the only ones I am familiar with.

I knowI am of no help just interested ...

Latest posts

Back