Setting OWB with bottom frame on blocks?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mistergreentree

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I have a Shaver 165 that was delivered this week and I would like to raise it up about 8" to get the door to a more comfortable height. My question is that since it has a bottom frame that it rests on and no feet...can I just support the corners or do I put as many blocks under it as I can to support it?
Has anyone done this with a shaver or any other bottom framed OWB? I will be placing this thing back on the slab next week and just wanted all you guys input before then.

Thanks!

actually, if you look under the OWB there are feet. My 290 has 6 feet made from what looks like 1.5"-2" pipe. The legs are about 1/4" longer then the bottom of the sheet metal. I set my shaver on 1.5" blocks so air can circulate underneath and help prevent condensation/rust. I wish now I went up another 8-10", but it works out nice and I'm getting use to the low door (just watch those knuckles). The only downside I see to lifting it is a bit of heat loss, but up that high, you can add more insulation underneath if you'd like.

I'll have to take a closer look at the bottom. Did you put blocks under each "foot"?
I wanted to raise mine for rust prevention also and then got to thinking it would be nice if that door were about 10" or so higher. Did you use solid concrete blocks?

The insulation is a good idea.

thanks

a few others ...

Mr. Green Tree - You will see a few others sitting their different brands on blocks or higher pads also. I looked at a Shaver about a month ago with a buddy, and was the first thing I told him to do, raise it about 8" and get that door higher, easier on the 'old back. After comparing it against a Hardy H4, he settled for the Hardy, but we both liked that Shaver for the price, and they sure look like a well made stove. Congrats of the recent purchase, I am sure it will make you a fine stove.

Here is an old post with some other members pictures of blocks etc.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=73856

Latest posts

Back