Sharpening Tools With A File - Advice Please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just serviced all my parents tools when I was over. Most all of them needed tightening and sharpening. You definitely need to oil then tighten them to zero side play . One set of shears had a big slot screwdriver head and I could only completely tighten them with a chisel and hammer. Flat files need to be in good shape. Moisture ruins them fast. The file in the picture does not resemble a file anymore. As Woos and prepahs others are saying is hold the file on both end and cross file. Wipe or tap the filings out regularly and keep it dry and it will last you. Get a good brand and not to coarse for this application. Don't get the filings in your eyes.

I just serviced all my parents tools when I was over. Most all of them needed tightening and sharpening. You definitely need to oil then tighten them to zero side play . One set of shears had a big slot screwdriver head and I could only completely tighten them with a chisel and hammer. Flat files need to be in good shape. Moisture ruins them fast. The file in the picture does not resemble a file anymore. As Woos and prepahs others are saying is hold the file on both end and cross file. Wipe or tap the filings out regularly and keep it dry and it will last you. Get a good brand and not to coarse for this application. Don't get the filings in your eyes.
I bought a new file yesterday at the hardware store.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Nicholson-10-in-Bastard-Cut-Mill-File-21839/100148489
The clerk and I read over the labels and the only difference we could see was the length. I bought another 10". Is there another type of bastard file that is better for axes and garden tools?

I use a small electric grinder ( 4 1/2" ) to reshape the axe, shears, etc. A bastard file has very course teeth and is very good for taking large amounts of material or reshaping the tool you are working on. You are not finished yet. Then you will need a conventional file to do the fine tuning. Emery cloth is a little difficult to use on tools so I use a sandstone or sharpening stone. It is more easy to sharpen tools than to go to the hardeware store to replace. Thanks

The clerk and I read over the labels and the only difference we could see was the length. I bought another 10". Is there another type of bastard file that is better for axes and garden tools?

There are many different grades in files, Bastard, double cut, fine, coarse, etc.....Here's a few tips, when your filing an edge always work into the blade not away and never touch the working surface of your file with your hands.

I use a small electric grinder ( 4 1/2" ) to reshape the axe, shears, etc. A bastard file has very course teeth and is very good for taking large amounts of material or reshaping the tool you are working on. You are not finished yet. Then you will need a conventional file to do the fine tuning. Emery cloth is a little difficult to use on tools so I use a sandstone or sharpening stone. It is more easy to sharpen tools than to go to the hardeware store to replace. Thanks
What kind of sharpening stone do you use?
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...=m570.l1313&_nkw=ax+sharpening+stone&_sacat=0
I think I have th one that looks like a brick in the barn - know I've seen it before, didn't know what it was. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back