Sick Oak Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveymw

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi,

I've got a sick oak tree in my front yard. It's about 8-10" diameter 25-30' tall... some strain of red oak. I live near Atlanta Georgia. It is a "volunteer" native oak. No construction or grading nearby for over 25 years.

About the middle of the summer last year the tree started dropping its leaves, and it was bare by the end of August. I thought the tree had died completely, but when I checked the limbs only a few were dry and brittle. This year, it's brought out leaves, but only near the trunk and on the thicker main parts of of the limbs.. it seems the smaller limbs and limb tips have died. We did have 2 years in a row of drought, but no other oak on my property is displaying these same symptoms. Some much bigger, some much smaller... the one particular about this tree is it's out in the middle of the front lawn in a grassy area wheras all other oaks are on the lawn edges or in the woods where no grass is underneath. I hire a company to treat/fertilize my lawn.

With an outdoor watering ban still in effect (even though we're about normal for rainfall this year), watering really isn't much of an option for a tree this size.

The foilage/dead limbs on this tree really look a mess this year, what can I do, if anything, to help it out?

Thank you for any info.

Dave

Sounds like a combination of drought, over-fertilizing, and possibly damage from weed killer/weed-n-feed. You can try pruning out all the dead limbs, but I don't think the tree will ever recover fully. You're probably better off removing it. Of course, it would be best to have a professional look at it for a proper diagnosis and treatment plan.

Latest posts

Back