Sick Red Maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giff

Reaction score
We had a 5.5" red sunset maple professionally planted 18 months ago. The first year was fine; the top was a little sparse but ok. This spring the top did not come back at all (see pics). However, there is quite a bit of new growth in the bottom 1/3 of the tree. We watered the tree 2-3 times a week, especially in the spring. We have increased the watering this spring/summer to about 5x a week and also used some tree fertilizer spikes that i hammered into the soil.

Living in MD we had a very cold winter (several days of 0-10 degree days) and also a bit of a drought. I see through these forums many people recommend cutting out the dead sections. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0201.jpg
    IMG_0201.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0747.jpg
    IMG_0747.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0748.jpg
    IMG_0748.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 31
What a shame, was a nice tree & most likely not cheap. For one you are over watering. If you have heavy clay/slit soil it's very probable that the excess watering has caused crown die back. If you have sandy well drained soil, I would want to take a close look at the root collar. Pull the mulch away from the stump & post up a pic.

What a shame, was a nice tree & most likely not cheap. For one you are over watering. If you have heavy clay/slit soil it's very probable that the excess watering has caused crown die back. If you have sandy well drained soil, I would want to take a close look at the root collar. Pull the mulch away from the stump & post up a pic.
This post is as right as...Rain! :clap: No matter what the soil is like, finding the flare aka the upper roots growing off the trunk, is essential.

Back