Silvey patent for differemt felling method

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokechase II

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Does anyone know if this 1976 patent for a method of tree felling that reduces the amount of tear out in the hinge area is by someone related to Silvey Grinders?

Because you have to log on to most patent search sites, I have copied United States Patent 3971422 for your viewing. You may have to resize to read. Sorry.

Interesting cut

Seems like nipping the corners and boring the guts will accomplish the same thing. The date puts it in the heyday of logging in oregon though. The 70's
Have you been to the State logging museum pretty cool place. I stopped by on the way back from my assignment. Bought a book there about loggers world 1950-70's. Interesting how back in the 50's they talk about boring backcuts to get heavy leaners down so it is not a new concept by any means. When I get the book back from my buddy I will scan the page and post it.

technique for getting more swing

Have you seen this one. Putting in a intentional swing dutchman and to get more swing you put in a vertical bore right in front of the near side holding wood to give in more room to close into during the swing. Learned that one in Montana from some fallers on the Blackfoot Lakes fire. I would like to try it on a side leaner but without using a dutchman just conventional stuff and see if it would allow the holding wood some more flexibilty on the near side before it broke free, try to hold on to it a little longer.:)

No sounds interesting

Burt:

I'll have to give that a try. Will see if I can send you a photo and my best evaluation come spring when I could be doing some campground work. I'm going to stay away from Dutchman stuff too and just try it with regular technique.

This I have tried.

Put in two different faces. On the tension side put in a block face half way across. On the compression side put in a narrow angled Humboldt.
Objective to pull a leaner more than you could otherwise.
The block face is flexible and because it holds longer it is used to pull the tree more than the other 1/2. The step angled face closes quickly and starts the tree toward the block face, and then it breaks first and allows the flexible block face to pull even more.

Of course, tapered hinge and wedges angled driving generally towards the desired direction of fall.
Then to really help out, encourage a root pull by nearly vertical boring from the back of the desired hinge area, (on the tension side), down to capture a root pull, if a root is available where you'd want it.

Don't get too greedy on this one. Things can pop quickly if the wood isn't as strong, (avoid on dead/dry/brittle trees), as the weight you're fighting.

more George Silvey Patents

In 1975, George Silvey also filed for another tree falling technique US Patent 3977446.

Stated objectives were to: "reduce stump to tree tip distance and lessen tree impact with the ground."

This obviously didn't catch on as the risk of getting smashed at the stump would have been greatly increased. Bar and Chain damage etc.

If this is the same guy (I think it is) it is why he known for his grinder and tree jacks more than his falling techniques.

Last edited:
Rocking chair undercut

Hey Bill that cut you were trying is known in these parts as the Rocking Chair cut it is used to get heavy side leaners to the lay. Seen it used and yes it works just as you explained the tight side breaks free first and pulls toward to wide side. Corners have to be strong for this cut to work though.

Rocking Chair

I like that name.

The only thing I wasn't taught about what I described was my adding the vertical bore from the back of the tapered hinge to capture a root pull.
That can be used on other cuts too and if in green wood it’s powerful.

I didn't claim that I have the ability to accurately project how effective a root pull is going to be.

Get a photo or two someday of the rockin' chair. I'll try and do the same.
My playing with this cut in dead wood lead to the obvious conclusion that forget it there. Dead wood hinges break quickly and even block faces don't buy that much.

Silvey Name

The founder and main patent holder for Silvey Chaingrinder was Ray Silvey, who has since passed away. His son in law runs the company now. I don't know of any connection between Ray and George, but they could have been related.

Latest posts

Back