Single-Rope Technique (SRT) Suitable Ropes?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperDIYer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Please pardon me if this has been covered in one of the forums. I did search but came up with nothing on topic. Perhaps the answer is just to RTFM, but then the question is WHICH book?

Looking through the climbing gear catalogs, I see that most rope makers say that their Static Kernmantle ropes are more suitable for SRT, but given the higher cost of those ropes and the higher cost of gear to even do a real SRT, this seems like its prohibitive for newbies!

For the record, SRT is very interesting to me because of the ground-resuce capabilities as well as the relative simple mechanics on the body compared to Doubled Rope or otherwise.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
jtz

Super, arbor lines are fine for SRT, as they are low stretch. however, a static line is typically a tighter weave, so, along with the choice of a 9-11 mm line, will allow the ascenders to be advanced with less friction and bind.

Laid (twisted) ropes make you spin quite badly when loaded.

To a much lesser extent this also occurs with kernmantle ropes that have all their internal yarns twisted the same way. This occurs with some dynamic climbing ropes, but most people just don't notice.

Get good ropes. Don't climb on your mum's old washing line!

I would reccommend the fly. Its 11mm and strong for its size. An ease to pull behind you when working a crown.

SRt requires a bit longer rope than what I like to work with at least 150 feetto 200, my climbing rope is 120.

A number of 11 mm ropes have been designed and created for our industry. Like Tom, I really like the New England KM III, but the fly family is good, the velocity family exceptional and my favorite of all, Vector by Petzl (Actually, Samson). They are all so close in performance to one another that the differences are really minor.

The ropes they've made for us a geneally semi-static, though KM III is a static rope with a nice, pliable hand. Love that rope.

SRT is my preferred system. All of these ropes (with the exception of the fly) work teriffically. the fly will milk duruing breeak-in. Thje others need no bereak in.

The fly is climbable on a river birtch whereas a 1/2 inch youd be stuck.

Back