So I was in the shed the other day....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaseyForrest

I am NOT a tree freak.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I got to thinking about all the saw related items Ive bought since Oct, 2005.

Stihl 180 (sold)
Stihl 260 (sold)
Stihl 361
Stihl 460 (sold)
Dead Stihl 460, rebuilt (sold)
Stihl 066, milling saw (sold)
Stihl 200T (sold) DAMN!!!
Stihl 660

And then theres chains, I have 4 36" chains, 2 RM and 2 RS full skip. 5-28". 6-20", and 2 RM 16". I also have 2 28" Oregon LG and 2 16" Oregon LG chains coming. 5 Ripping chains also, and one of those 36" chains has been re-filed. I have 1 Carlton 36" bar coming from Baileys, 1 36" Stihl ES bar now on the mill. 1 28" ES bar for the mill and 1 GB Ti 28" bar. 1 Gb Ti bar in 20" and a 16" total Super bar.

Ive got the Stihl Bench Mount File guide, and a couple boxes of files. Hey Steve, Ive got 2 Vallorbe Square files for ya.

The many other odds and ends. LIke the mill.

It all started because I wanted to trade in my 137.

To bad I dont have a fireplace or outdoor burner, Id be all set up!!!

CaseyForrest said:
Hey Steve, Ive got 2 Vallorbe Square files for ya.

Sweet! :clap:

If I had to thought about all the new saws i bought and the others I've sold. I'd probably still be here this weekend. :laugh:

Been wanting to ask Cassey, what about did that bench mount bar filer run? The bar mount works ok, makes em super sharp, but is kinda PITA on the smaller saws.
Andy

Andy, it ran $150. There is one on Eaby right now for a BIN of $149.

I realize its costly, but I cant bring myself to use a grinder. I LOVE to use a file.

WOW!!!! That is a bit rich for me!!! I do love the filed chains, and have my H grinder, as well as the Oregon bar mount Doc. donated to the cause, and there is no comparison between the chains afterwards. The filed chains are much sharper and stay that way longer. But finding the time, much less the paitence to properly (yes, I said properly, which I generally don't get right) gets harder by the day!!! 10 min, on the grinder 30 with the bar mount, just figured the bench would be a little quicker, but will buy a grinder at that price!!
Andy

ANdy, use those that little blue guide I sent along too, It will keep them in good shape and it only takes a couple swipes in the field, truck, etc.

Keep the file on the rollers, and keep the anlge in the same spot on both rollers, should get it real close to the top plate, or you can change the top plate angle for more aggressive chain, but the consistancy is harder with that guide from one tooth to the next.

:laugh: RIGHT!!!!! Don't do much stumping, let alone fence line work LOL!!!! I made a brand new chain for my 350 into a nice skip chain in one wack, first cut, doing some fence line work, the next chain didn't fair much better :yoyo:
Andy

So Doc, ya gonna amp this one up a bit more, ya know, make mine look a little soft?:ices_rofl:
Andy

Freakingstang said:
ANdy, use those that little blue guide I sent along too, It will keep them in good shape and it only takes a couple swipes in the field, truck, etc.

Keep the file on the rollers, and keep the anlge in the same spot on both rollers, should get it real close to the top plate, or you can change the top plate angle for more aggressive chain, but the consistancy is harder with that guide from one tooth to the next.

If you are talking about the Husky Rollerguide, I have one of those. NICE to have in the field.

sawinredneck said:
So Doc, ya gonna amp this one up a bit more, ya know, make mine look a little soft?:ices_rofl:
Andy

Wrong thread, but I'll bite.

Nope, same deal for now. I want a side by side comparison of the BB 046 and 066 in bigger wood.

Then, maybe I'll revamp it, but no time for that now, too many other saws to finish. I need to visit with Mr. Ebay to get some of my money back. lol.

CaseyForrest said:
If you are talking about the Husky Rollerguide, I have one of those. NICE to have in the field.

Yup, just wish they made one for square chain.

I file most of mine square, except the 28" and 36" chains.

Been a long week, and a bad day Doc!!! Can't even keep track of time right now!!! Sorry about that!
Andy

I think we need a A/S support group

Stihl 180 (sold)
Stihl 260 (sold)
Stihl 361
Stihl 460 (sold)
Dead Stihl 460, rebuilt (sold)
Stihl 066, milling saw (sold)
Stihl 200T (sold) DAMN!!!
Stihl 660
Thats bad

And then theres chains, I have 4 36" chains, 2 RM and 2 RS full skip. 5-28". 6-20", and 2 RM 16". I also have 2 28" Oregon LG and 2 16" Oregon LG chains coming. 5 Ripping chains also, and one of those 36" chains has been re-filed. I have 1 Carlton 36" bar coming from Baileys, 1 36" Stihl ES bar now on the mill. 1 28" ES bar for the mill and 1 GB Ti 28" bar. 1 Gb Ti bar in 20" and a 16" total Super bar.

Ive got the Stihl Bench Mount File guide, and a couple boxes of files.

The many other odds and ends. LIke the mill.

It all started because I wanted to trade in my 137.

No worries

To bad I dont have a fireplace or outdoor burner, Id be all set up!!

Yer not Alone

Last edited:
Back